Peka

"Don't have to be right, just wanted you to stay the way you are"

Peka They/Them Non-binary

~~~~

The relationship that took up my entire summer, yay! If you couldn't tell because you're blind, that was sarcasm. This is currently my second longest relationship, standing at a strong two months and eight days. It was the end of seventh grade still, and I was thirteen.

~~~~

I met Peka in a YouTuber's discord server. It was one of those times I finally had the guts to speak in a public server, and Peka ended up responding. And so we ended up having a whole conversation about killing turtles, then we added each other.

We talked about school, and got to know each other at first. I knew them before I met Kakashi, that much I will admit. Anyway, I remember they technically didn't even ask me out. They sent me a screenshot of their friend giving them advice to ask me out and how they responded with something like, "I'm just super nervous and scared too."

I proceeded to say "yeah, I would love too" and they freaked out. Although that obviously wasn't enough to confirm us as a couple so they asked me if we were "more than friends" now. I obviously joked saying I would be their best friend, and then laughed about it telling them "yes, we are."

That's how we got together, had to tell that in full because it was a lot different than other ways I have been asked to date someone.

During our relationship, it was going very well. We messaged everyday, and enjoyed each others presence. One day though, Leo, this strange bastard, messaged me and told me how he loves me and it hurts to see me with Peka but he is happy for me knowing I am happy with them. Mind you, this split me in two.

You see, at that point I had liked Leo for almost four years. He obviously rejected me multiple times, over and over, how rude, but he is still my best friend either way. Anyway I was split between the decision of being with the person that I've likes for years, or being with the person I loved very very much at the time and was already with.

As hard of a decision as it was, I decided to stay with Peka. I knew that either way, I would still like Leo, and if he truly felt the same he would be there still if something happened with me and Peka. I loved Peka more than anything and I didn't want to give them up for the world at the time, so obviously I stayed with them.

You see, not even a week or so after that Peka came to me with practically the same situation, and told me that their best friend just admitted to liking them and now they are conflicted. They have liked them forever but they still like me as well. I told them to do what they found best for them, as I did.

I was added to a group chat with the two of them and got to know the other person that Peka liked, then I was sprung with the question of a polyamorous relationship. Peka and the other person wanted to know if it was okay if Peka dated them as well as me at the same time.

I wasn't comfortable with it, but I wanted them to be happy. I didn't want to be holding them back from being with someone they loved just as much as they loved me. As sad as that sounds, if they're with me they should love no one as much as me right? Eh. I said yes, and it made me happy seeing them happy.

We all had matching profile pictures, and it was going well at first. That was until Peka was talking to the other person more than they were talking to me. They started to take hours to respond to me, and I always had to message first and keep the conversations going, or at least try.

This obviously made me realize I was not something they needed in their life. I ended it with them, and told them how I felt like they were slowly ghosting me and I felt they could do better in life if I wasn't in theirs. I knew I was just being a cape on their shoulders, flowing in the wind as to not be noticed but when the wind stops I'm just in the way.

We didn't stay friends, to their objection. I wanted to try and be friends still but they didn't want to. They said after what they did, they didn't deserve to be my friend. I disagreed, but I couldn't do much about it.

~~~~

791 Words