Chapter 5

The silence that followed after was almost eerie. The campers stared in shock at her, and after a few soundless moments, Rachel started speaking again. She told them about the incident on the Grand Canyon skywalk—how Gleeson Hedge had sacrificed himself when the storm spirits attacked, and the spirits had warned it was only the beginning. They apparently served some great mistress who would destroy all demigods. She told them about Piper passing out in Hera's cabin and about Jason's vision in the living room of the Big House.

"Jason," Rachel finally said. "Um ... do you remember your last name?"

He looked self-conscious, but he shook his head.

"We'll just call you Jason, then," Rachel said. "It's clear Hera herself has issued you a quest. "

Freya cast a glance at him, and that's all it took to see the nervousness overcome him. But as soon as the fear had come, it passed. Rachel gave him a moment to protest and say anything against it, but Jason just clenched his jaw. Eyes determined and stormy, he agreed. Freya thought it was a pretty brave thing to do, considering he had no memories and had just found about demigods a few hours prior. Plus, she knew very well what it was like to be under the pressure of fulfilling a task given by a goddess. 

"You must save Hera to prevent a great evil," Rachel continued. "Some sort of king from rising. For reasons we don't yet understand, it must happen by the winter solstice, only four days from now. "

"That's the council day of the gods," Annabeth said. "If the gods don't already know Hera's gone, they will definitely notice her absence by then."

"Yeah, and the next thing they'll do is accuse each other of taking her. That's what they usually do, anyway." Said Freya. 

"The winter solstice," Chiron spoke up, "is also the time of greatest darkness. The gods gather that day, as mortals always have, because there is strength in numbers. The solstice is a day when evil magic is strong. Ancient magic, older than the gods. It is a day when things ... stir. "

The centaurs tone indicated that they were all already six feet under, and it made her Freya want to laugh, despite the unfunny situation. She really wished everyone would stop being so ominous. Ok, so bad things were about to happen, Hera was missing and there was a possibility of a threat greater then Kronos, but that didn't mean he had to scare the whole camp shitless. 

"Okay," Annabeth said, glaring at the centaur. "Thank you, Captain Sunshine. Whatever's going on, I agree with Rachel. Jason has been chosen to lead this quest, so—"

"Why hasn't he been claimed?" somebody yelled from the Ares cabin. "If he's so important—"

"He has been claimed," Chiron announced. "Long ago. Jason, give them a demonstration. "

Jason looked around confused at first, then seemed to realize what he had to do. A little nervously, he stepped forward and flipped the coin he'd flipped earlier when he'd sparred with her. In seconds he was holding his lance—a rod of gold about seven feet long, with a spear tip at one end.

The other demigods gasped. Rachel, Annabeth and Freya stepped back to avoid the point, which looked sharp as an ice pick.

"Wasn't that ..." Annabeth hesitated. "I thought you had a sword. "

"Its based on heads or tails, whatever it falls on is the weapon he'll get" Said Freya, and ignored Annabeth when she shot her a confused glance that seemed to say How'd you know that? . Freya just shrugged. 

"Yeah. Same coin, long-range weapon form. "Said Jason. 

"Dude, I want one!" yelled somebody from Ares cabin.