Chapter 21

Freya could almost drown in her relief.

"Thalia!" She rushed forward and engulfed the girl in a hug. Thalia yelped in surprise but, as soon as she realized who it was, hugged Freya back.

When they pulled apart, Thalia's face still one of shock and delight, she said "But I don't get it. What are you doing here?"

Freya couldn't stop smiling. It had been a while since she'd last seen Thalia, and she was in desperate need of a familiar face. "It's a long story. But nevermind that, how did you find us?"

"We've been following that demon's trail for over a week." Thalia looks around. "Is everyone all right? No one got bit?"

Jason stood frozen, staring at her. It was only then that Freya realized how this must feel for him. His long lost sister, showing up out of the blue and then shotting the enemy with a bunch of arrows. She feels kind of bad for only thinking about herself.

"Er, Thals-" Freya cleared her throat and pointed to Jason. "This is-"

"Your brother," Jason said, his voice trembling. "I'm your brother."

For a minute, Jason and Thalia faced each other, stunned. Then Thalia rushed forward and hugged him.

"My gods! She told me you were dead!" She gripped Jason's face and seemed to be examining everything about it. "Thank Artemis, it is you. That little scar on your lip—you tried to eat a stapler when you were two!"

Leo laughed. "Seriously?"

"No way," Gasped Freya.

Hedge nodded like he approved of Jason's taste. "Staplers —excellent source of iron. "

"W-wait," Jason stammered. "Who told you I was dead? What happened?"

At the cave entrance, one of the white wolves barked. Thalia looked back at the wolf and nodded, but she kept her hands on Jason's face, like she was afraid he might vanish. "My wolf is telling me I don't have much time, and she's right. But we have to talk. Let's sit. "

Piper did better than that. She collapsed. She would've cracked her head on the cave floor if Hedge hadn't caught her.

Thalia rushed over. "What's wrong with her? Ah—never mind. I see. Hypothermia. Ankle. " She frowned at the satyr. "Don't you know nature healing?"

Hedge scoffed. "Why do you think she looks this good? Can't you smell the Gatorade?"

Thalia looked at Leo with accusatory eyes. Even if for Leo it felt as if she was scrutinizing him, from the outside, it looked hilarious. Thalia knew how to intimidate. "You and the satyr," she ordered, "take this girl to my friend at the entrance. Phoebe's an excellent healer. "

"It's cold out there!" Hedge said. "I'll freeze my horns off. "

"You should go, Coach." Said Freya. "I'll come too. These two need to talk."

"Humph. Fine," the satyr muttered. "Didn't even get to brain anybody. "

Hedge and Freya carried Piper toward the entrance. Leo was about to follow when Jason called, "Actually, man, could you, um, stick around?"

Leo looked shocked for a second, and then he grinned. "Sticking around is my specialty. "

She felt like she wanted to stay as well, because Jason clearly looked like he needed it. Bit she wasn't about to interfere between him, his sister, and bestfriend. That was before Thalia said, "Yeah, uhm, maybe you can stay as well. Please."

Freya saw something in Thalia's eyes she didn't expect: Thalia was asking for support. she wanted somebody else there. she was scared.

Freya understood that thoroughly. She had thought that her and Thalia would have grown distant while they were away from each other, but Thalia still seemed inclined to lean on her for support. It warmed her, the thought of that.