Chapter 27

Freya's head hit the ground with a loud thump, Jason following and toppling somewhere to her right. She groaned as her limbs ached from the ground, but that felt like nothing in comparison to the sheer exhaustion threatening to overcome her. Her arms, feet and pretty much the rest of her body felt numb. The entirety of her face was sweating from the effort she'd exerted while holding the wall of water upright long enough to knock the giant over, and to heal Jason. She didn't think she'd even be able to lift her sword if she tried. Getting up from the ground was out of the question. 

Jason shifted from next to her, releasing a small grunt of pain in turn. "You alright?" 

Freya tried to lift herself, and then embarrassed herself by failing. She sighed, "I don't think I can move." 

Jason instantly got up and peered down at her, their eyes meeting. He scanned Freya's tired eyes and sweating face. He looked troubled. 

"As glad as I am that you saved my ass," He said sheepishly. Then added, "And healed me," 

The memory made Freya's insides mush. Jason looked away as if he too was remembering what had happened on top of the wave. "I wish you wouldn't look like a corpse by the end of it." 

Freya made a noise in the back of her throat that was meant to sound offending. "If I could lift my arm...I'd so be flipping you off right now, Blondie." 

"I know," He sounded so fond. Freya didn't know what to do with it. 

She cleared her throat and said, "I don't think I'll be able to help you guys much from here..." 

"Don't worry," Jason said gently. "I'll take care of it." 

With that, he scooped her up into his arms, and lifted her off the ground. She wanted to wind her arms around his neck for purchase, but soon they were limp at her sides. It was hard to keep her head upright as well, and Freya knew soon she'd loose the fight and completely loose consciousness. As if the reality had somehow reeled into slow- motion, the world around her blurred and unblurred, sound filtered in and out of her ears in little snippets of her friends shouts, explosions, and a whole lot of fighting. 

Jason was moving- running- but she didn't know where. He hadn't let her out of his arms once. How was he going to fight with her weighing him down? Suddenly she felt guilty, and had the urge to tell him to leave her. She just couldn't find her voice to tell him that. 

Her head lolled to the side, and the last thing she saw we're two figures running towards them. They'd come closer, close enough that Freya could hear them but still couldn't see them clearly. 

"What's wrong with her!?" Shrieked one of the figures. Freya recognized Piper's alarmed voice. 

"Please tell me she's not dead," Said another. Leo. 

"Of course not," Rumbled Jason from above her, whom she could hear the clearest since she was pressed up against his chest. His warm, so comfy and lovely chest that Freya never wanted to break away from.  

"You sure? Because..." 

And then, it was like someone had flicked off the light inside her head and let darkness colour the edges of her vision. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

When she woke up they were in a helicopter. Her head buzzed and it was like all her thoughts were clanking together, not knowing where to go. 

What had happened? 

Had they won?

Were her friends alive?

Was Jason alive? 

"Hey," 

Freya turned her head abruptly and was instantly relieved to find Jason sitting there, alive and unscathed. She looked around, trying to piece together what had happened. "Where are we going?" She asked, her voice rough and unused.