Chapter 32

In the months that passed, Freya felt useless. Stuck in between worrying about her brother, the outcome of their quest, and the constant tension between her and Jason, she felt like she was going insane. Even if she did help with the building of the ship, Freya still didn't feel satisfied. Her days we're spent either worrying, doing manual labor, or leading camp activities. 

In her free time, Piper came over to her cabin often, and now that they weren't fighting for their lives, Freya actually got to know her. Piper was one of the most hilarious people she'd ever met, and never failed to come up with a plan to spend their time. After curfew, they'd sneak out, go to the Hermes cabin to get cider, and then spend their night drinking on the beach. 

 Freya's and Leo's friendship also cemented, but she'd known from the start that they'd get along great. As it turned out, when Leo had more ingredients other then the ones his toolbelt offered, he could truly cook. Of course, they had food provided by the camp, but Leo enjoyed cooking a lot, and would often bring enchiladas for them to eat when they were working on architecture designs and whatnot. Freya would cackle with glee and slap a kiss on his cheek in thanks. 

Her and Jason however...It wasn't going as swimmingly as she'd previously imagined. He had avoided her at all costs the entire summer. Freya didn't want to be desperate and intrude, so she'd let him have his space, expecting it was because he felt weird around her after she'd said she liked him and in return he'd played it off as something insignificant. Whenever Freya would think about it, she'd feel dread at how bad she embarrassed herself. Nevermind the acrid feeling of hurt in her heart when she remembered he hadn't meant it, and that now he wanted to ignore her.

 If they did happen to run into each other, Jason was surprisingly sunny. He smiled at her as if nothing was wrong, and even engaged in simple talk. Freya hated it even more then having him avoid her. His words were careful and calculated, as if he were talking to a person he barely knew. He didn't linger a lot either- a few words exchanged and then he was back to pretending she didn't exist. 

Two months prior, Freya was out at the beach and had just finished sunbathing when Jason came barreling through with Leo and Will on his heels. He was in his swim trunks, holding a volley ball in his right hand and and an opened coke can in the other. He was distracted enough that he didn't notice Freya was right in his way. Jason slammed right into her, and nearly toppled her to the ground before his large arms reached over at the last second to balance her. The momentum made him rock forward, pushing their bodies flush together.  

She yelped in surprise and steadied her hands on his biceps. Freya was sure that if he hadn't been holding her, her legs would have given out anyway, and not because he had crashed into her. It was one thing to see Jason shirtless. Another was to feel him. Every inch where their skin touch felt like a an electric burn. Their chests and lower halves were pressed together and she could sense his stomach contract as he breathed. Her whole body felt hot and she was sure her face was redder then blood. She made the mistake of looking up into his blue eyes, and nearly lost it. 

Freya broke out of her trance when Jason suddenly pulled away and started apologizing. She already missed the intensity of him. His face was flushed and he kept stammering. That was when she realized his coke had spilled on her when they crashed. So busy staring at him, she hadn't even felt it touch her skin. The one time being a daughter of Poseidon didn't pay off. 

"Oh shit-" Jason said. "Fuck I'm so sorry-" He Reached out hastily and started running his hands down her abdomen and the middle of her chest where the drink had spilled as if to clean off. Freya gasped without meaning to, and immediately drew away, horrified with the urgent desire that overcame her. He'd run his hands across his chest. In a bathing suit. And she'd enjoyed it so much, she wished he'd run his hands other places too.