Chapter 19

The guy was fast, Freya had to give him that. But between her and Jason, it was pretty easy to handle him. He spun towards Freya first, probably believing she was the weaker target. When her sword clashed against his with such force that made him reel back, he turned towards Jason, his face still recovering from the shock of the blow.

It gave her a sense of power.

It was harder for him to fend off both of them, but he held fast. Him and Jason's techniques in fighting were so obviously in contrast. Lit's face took on another mask- one of confusion this time. Freya knew how that felt first hand. When she'd first fought Jason, his different moves and jabs had thrown her off.

That proved to be an advantage now. As Freya angled her sword and jabbed upward, aiming the hilt of her sword to Lit's chest, he fell back and cursed.

"What is this? Where have you learned to fight like a warrior, girl?"

She smiled meanly. "Surprised? You should be." She stepped closer, Jason next to her. "Small heads up: In this time line, girls actually know how to use a sword. So don't consider me to be the weak link. Because if you threaten me, I will not hesitate to cut you off."

The message must of angered Lit a lot, because he stood up and launged straight at her, as if to test the theory that she'd attack right back. Their swords clashed, and for a moment, she'd almost forgotten Jason was there until another sword joined their dance. Now it was him and Jason. Lit was pathetically loosing. He seemed surprised Jason and Freya were still alive.

"What is that style?" Lit growled. "You don't fight like a Greek. "

"Legion training," Jason said, with certainty that Freya hadn't heard him use when he talked about his past. "It's Roman. "

She settled, content to watch Jason fight, a hundred precent sure he had it. Plus, when Jason fought, it was a sight to behold, and Freya was drinking it all in, despite the mortal peril they were in. She tended to do that.

"Roman?" Lit struck again, and he deflected his blade. "What is Roman?"

"News flash number two," Jason said. "While you were dead, Rome defeated Greece. Created the greatest empire of all time. "

"Impossible," Lit said. "Never even heard of them. "

A lazy smile flashed across her face. It was refreshing, hearing him defend his legacy, where he'd come from. It was attractive, to see him so focused on fighting, hands gripping his sword, knuckles held tight together...Freya shook her head. Snapping out of it, she hefted her sword, and while Lit was busy gaping at Jason, she stepped infront of him and smacked Lit so hard in the chest, he tumbled and smashed right at the foot of Midas throne.

"Oh, dear," Midas said. "Lit?"

"I'm fine," Lit growled.

"You'd better help him up," Jason said coyly, resting his arms on his sword. Oh gods, why was it that she wanted to kiss him so urgently in the most unappropriated moments?

Lit cried, "Dad, no!"

Too late. Midas put his hand on his son's shoulder, and suddenly a very angry-looking gold statue was sitting on Midas's throne. Freya couldn't help but snort. She also couldn't help being impressed.

"Curses!" Midas wailed. "That was a naughty trick, demigod. I'll get you for that. " He patted Lit's golden shoulder. "Don't worry, son. I'll get you down to the river right after I collect this prize. "

Freya gripped her sword fully expecting for Midas to go for Jason, but instead he spun towards her. She yelped, and barely managed to veer sharply out of the kings way. Unfortunately, the suddenness of it had made her stumble right on to the concrete floor. Within a second, Midas had touched her, and she felt herself going rigid.