Chapter 31

Freya barely remembered the rest of the night. They told their story and answered a million questions from the other campers, but finally Chiron saw how tired they were and ordered them to bed. It felt so good to sleep on a real mattress, and Freya was so exhausted, she crashed immediately, not sparing a single thought to what awaited them from now on.

The next morning, she woke up in solidarity. It had been like that ever since Percy had gone, and at first she found it discomforting. Her brother's presence was always amble to calm her, and just knowing he was around made her feel good. But now, after days of sleeping in abandoned, dirty places, crammed with four other people, being alone felt good.

Just as she was about to get up and head to breakfast, a knock sounded at her door. Freya sighed. She had been expecting this. She was surprised Annabeth hadn't sought her out sooner to ask questions about their quest. When she opened the door however, Freya was surprised to find Jason there, looking nervous.

"Jason," She breathed. He looked as good as he always did- golden hair glinting in the sun, eyes blue and sparkling like thunder, his gaze hot and cold all at once. He was studying her, and with a startle, she realized this was the first time they'd been alone -truly alone- since the start of the quest.

She collected herself.

He smiled at her, but it didn't reach his eyes. "Morning,"

She wasn't sure what to do. Invite him in? No, then she'd risk a scolding from Chiron for crossing the rules. Thankfully, Jason spoke before she could embarrass herself. "Wanna go out for a walk?"

She smiled. "Sure,"

They made their way around the camp, and Freya basked in the normality of it. All her friends were back, everyone acted as they always did, and she never felt more at peace. At least, until her mind slipped away and all the other things they'd have to encounter took over. Percy still wasn't back, the prophecy of the eight wasn't yet fulfilled, and a nagging voice at the back of her head kept replaying Medea's words.

What shall you do when the sea is not by your side? How will you fare then?

"How did you sleep?" She asked Jason.

He shook his head. "Bad. I kept having dreams."

"Of your past?"

"Little bits and pieces. I saw...people. My friends, I assume. Glimpses of the Roman camp, flashes of former fights..." He clenched his jaw, and she saw the tension in it.

"You're angry."

He threw up his hands. Jason's voice was like gravel. "Of course I'm angry. I'm being used as a pawn by a bratty goddess, most of my memories are gone, and I feel like I'm going into something so much bigger half blind."

"I know what that feels like," She said. "Being a pawn, I mean."

"But that's the thing, isn't it? You know. You remember. I don't." He looked away, then seemed to hesitate when saying his next words. "And what's even stupider, is I had a chance to have my old life back. You risked yours to get me that vial from Medea, and then, because I'm a fucking idiot who couldn't keep his eyes off of you, I dropped it."

Freya opened her mouth to speak, but Jason wasn't done.

His eyes pinned her to the spot, and when he spoke next, his tone was much more gentle. "I never got to thank you for that, by the way. So thank you, for risking your life for me. Even if you hadn't had that neat trick up your sleeve and would of died, I would of lost it."

She blinked. "You're still thinking about that? After everything that's happened?"

Jason stopped walking and looked down at her. "It was the closest you came to death. I was fucking terrified."