~45~ Ultimatum

I look at Holden and wish I could hear his thoughts. The way he's standing there and staring at her, I legit can't figure out what he's thinking. His posture is stiff, and the way he's clenching and relaxing his fists is unsettling.

"How was the club?" He finally asks, and she gets a smug smile to her.

"It was fun...Too bad you weren't there, which you would've been if you weren't busy with that evil cu...."

"DON'T finish that. My brother and sister are here, Brandy!"

"Trust me, they know the word. I'm serious, Holden.....It's her or me. You tell me right here and now if we're done forever. Either stop seeing her, or I'm breaking up with you."

"I work for her, B...I'm not quitting my job. I need the money!"

"If you weren't such a damn loser, you wouldn't have to have two jobs to keep a roof over your head. I don't know why I'm with you anyways."

Holden simply nods as he looks over at us, still at the table. He gives us an embarrassed smile and speaks calmly. "Why don't you guys go take a walk or something. You don't need to be here for this shit."

"So you're kicking us out?" Tate scoffs, and Holden's face falls.

"Of course not....I just didn't want you to have to.....Brandy, let's go outside and finish this....."

"No way in hell. Who are you choosing, Holden?"

"So you're saying I have to pick between my job, or my relationship?"

"No, I'm saying you have to pick between me or her....."

"That's not even a question, baby," his voice softens as he closes the distance and pulls her against him. She buries her head in his chest, and he kisses her blonde hair.

"You're my girl, k? She's just a friend."

"A friend you can't have anymore!" She spits as she pulls away from him and her eyes darken so intensely, I flinch.

Is she literally evil?

Holden simply nods as he rubs his hand up and down her arm. "Okay. She's just my boss."

She bites her bottom lip and pretends to get choked up. "I just know she has feelings for you, and I can't bare the thought of you leaving me."

Holden sighs as he pulls her back into him and she starts to fake cry.

"Never, baby. You're my girl."

~*~

Brandy leaves shortly after, and when she does, Tate shakes his head in complete disgust.

"You're an idiot!"

"Tate, come on. I don't need this from you right now!"

"No, I'm serious. You're such a damn loser........ I heard the fight you and dad had that night. He literally said those same words to you, and the next morning you were gone. So it's okay for her to talk to you like that, but not dad?"

Holden simply watches Tate for a minute before he walks over to his coffee pot and turns it on. He stares at it until the water starts pouring into the scratched pot, and then silently turns back to us and eats some pretzels off of the table.

"Quinn was fun and stupid all night, and you LAUGHED! She never once called you a loser...Well maybe she did, but she was kidding. Why are you such a damn sap?"

"Hey! We literally had a conversation today about you respecting me more than you do, did we not? Quit calling me names!" He snaps as he narrows his eyes at Tate.