~44~ Hall

Julianne's POV

It's been an extremely long weekend of constant lectures, endless chores, and a sore ass.

A really sore ass

I'm working on homework when Kenna and Holden come into the kitchen.

"What time is your mom coming to get you?" He asks as he hands her a soda.

"3:30. I really hope I won't get it from her next," she sighs as she cracks it open and takes a long drink.

He shrugs as he gets his own. "I can't have an opinion on that. She's your mom."

"Can I ask you a question?" She asks him as he sits on the counter and nods.

"Shoot"

"What did you want to be when you grew up? Did you want to be a teacher?"

"Nah," he says as he shakes his head and takes another drink. "I was told from the beginning I would be a stock broker...I never thought to have a dream of my own."

She thinks about that for a few minutes before she nods. "I kinda want to deliver babies," she shrugs.

Holden smiles. "I think that would be an awesome career, Ken."

She smirks as she comes over and sits by me. "You still have homework?"

"Yup," I say as I keep looking at my paper.

"You okay?" She asks as she looks at me funny.

"I'm great"

Holden looks my direction now, but I don't look at him.

A honk outside brings her to standing and she goes over to Holden. "I really am sorry," she says. He jumps down from the counter and gives her a hug, and kisses her on the head.

"It's over, Kenna."

She hugs him around the waist once more and grabs her bag at the door, waving at me as she leaves.

Holden goes back to looking at me, but I continue working on my math.

"You two in a fight?" He asks

"Nope"

"You mad at her?"

"Nope"

"Still mad at me?"

I look up at him and shrug. "I'm not mad I got punished, no. I know I messed up."

"But you're mad at me?"

"Yeah"

"Why, Annie?"

I look back down at my homework, ignoring him once more. He sighs as he takes his soda and goes into the other room.

~*~

I ignore Holden the rest of the night and he gives me space. When morning comes and I'm getting ready for school, he comes into the bathroom as I'm putting on makeup and kisses my cheek. "Can we talk?"

"About what?" I ask as I put a little concealer under my eyes and use my brush to blend it in.

He watches me in the mirror as I get a little blush and apply it to my cheeks.

"I'm sorry I had to come down so hard on you, Annie. I'm really sorry."

"It's ok," I say as I get out my mascara and start brushing it onto my lashes.

He watches me for another moment and then grins. "Aren't you afraid you'll stab your eye out?"

I sigh as I look at him in the mirror. "It's kinda weird you're watching me get ready, Holden."