~24~ Yard Work

Julianne's POV

I sit back down once the clapping starts, and basically collapse from adrenaline.

It's over

Gage turns around and gives me a grin, and when Holden grabs all of his papers, he squeezes my shoulder as he walks up the aisle.

He looks as relieved as I am.

"All of you did fantastic on your presentations. I look forward to reading your book reports this weekend, and I'll have your grades back to you on Monday. Enjoy your weekend, guys. No homework and your projects are done. You should all be proud."

When he says the last part, he looks at me and gives me a small smile.

I'm so glad it's done, and I STILL hate public speaking.

The bell rings and we all stand, and Gage turns to me to say something. "Julianne, can you come see me for a sec?" Holden says, and Gage stops what he was going to say and gives me a wink instead as he picks up his books and leaves.

I get to Holden's desk, and he silently pulls me in for a hug. "I'm so damn proud of you. You did great, and you actually made the class chuckle a couple of times. I hope you're proud of yourself."

He lets me go and I shrug. "I don't want to do that again," I say sharply.

"I don't have any other presentations this year, but I can't promise another teacher won't."

I turn to leave when he softly stops me with "Jules?"

"Yeah?" I ask as I turn back around.

"Is there something you want to tell me?"

"What do you mean?" I ask as I tilt my head and search his face for clues.

"I've just never seen you and Gage talk before. Are you guys.....friends?"

I stop for a moment, not sure how much I want to tell him. "We might be. I'm not sure."

He silently nods as I turn around again and leave, feeling lighter than I have in three weeks.

It's over

~*~

We get home that afternoon and I look around the house. What am I going to do without my books?

"Come here you two," Holden says as he motions toward outside, and Tate and I follow after him.

"It's supposed to rain for the next five days and I've seriously gotta get yard work done. You two are going to help me."

"You're serious?" Tate growls as he crosses his arms and glares at our brother.

"Oh, one hundred percent serious. Chippy has been on my ass for three weeks."

"What does Chippy have to do with anything? She's a complete freak who's too old to wear that kind of makeup and have such orange hair."

Holden blinks several times. "She's too old to have red hair?"

"It's not red, it's orange. And it's not the cool, natural kind...She constantly brags about how often she has to dye it. She bugs the shit outta me!"

Holden shakes his head in bewilderment. "She's a sweet lady, Tate. She's one of the first ones around here that accepted me and gave me a chance. Lay off of her."

"Why do I get the feeling that she's the reason you want me to mow?"

"She's on the town board. I guess they have a rule about the grass not being taller than 6 inches, otherwise they fine you. Our grass is well over 8 inches tall. With all the rain we're supposed to get, it will just make the grass grow even taller. You get out the weed-eater and I'll start mowing. Jules, start picking up rocks and sticks so we don't kill ourselves."