six

GODLESSchapter six

GODLESS
chapter six.

"ARE YOU GONNA GET ON THIS ONE?"

Brooke spared a passing glance to the kid as he stood on the fence, "shouldn't you be with you dad?"

"He told me to find grandpa," Tate answered.

"Do I look like John Dutton to you?"

Tate frowned, "no, but this looks more fun."

Brooke sighed and continued her work with the colt. She checked her cinch one last time as she grabbed the reins and stood in the stirrup, placing all her weight there before getting back on the ground.

"Why don't you get all the way on?"

"You want some advice on breaking horses, kid?"

Brooke was not a child lover by far. Most children that she met usually ending with someone crying and it normally wasn't her. It's not that she didn't like then per se, she didn't like the endless amount of questions that spewed from their mouths.

Keeping the conversation with Tate cordial wasn't too hard but the Hasty girl had been running on nothing but fumes. Her mare had seemed to be holding onto her foal for as long as possible which made for some very long nights.

"Yeah, but my dad said he'll teach me when I'm older."

"I'll teach you something now," Brooke said, "look at his ears, you see that? When they're pointed like that it means he's nervous. I'm gonna let him run around the pen until he relaxes. You know why I do that?"

"Why?"

"Because he won't want to learn anything if he's scared, and despite what you may see, kid, horses don't always gotta buck," Brooke said as she stopped the horse from running and brought it back in the middle, "enough groundwork means a horse will trust you enough to let you on his back. It ain't always like that though, sometimes you gotta ride the buck out of them."

It was the honest truth. Some horses would be prone to give more trouble than others. Brooke had learned a long time ago it was better to take her time. If a wrangler acted like they only had fifteen minutes then the horse would wait all day, but if you act like you have all day then gentling the colt will only take fifteen minutes.