twenty one

GODLESS

GODLESS.
chapter twenty one.

THE SUN HAD BEGUN RISING, the rain stopped over an hour ago but the atmosphere was still far too murky for Brooke's liking as she left the barn, having just fed her two horses and unblanketing her colt for the morning

THE SUN HAD BEGUN RISING, the rain stopped over an hour ago but the atmosphere was still far too murky for Brooke's liking as she left the barn, having just fed her two horses and unblanketing her colt for the morning. Her boots clicked against the gravel, splashing in the small puddles of muddy rainwater as she walked towards the bunkhouse to find her own breakfast for the day.

Brooke had been the first one to leave the bunkhouse, the second one awake— right after Lloyd, of course. When she had walked in this time, everyone had been away although some had yet to rise from their cots or even put proper clothes on.

She had passed Kayce walking with Jamie to the barn, it was rather demeaning for the later to be placed on muck out duty, she could see that neither wanted that for Jamie. Kayce gave her a passing nod but it was clear he wasn't happy with the situation.

The Hasty woman strode to the table, placing a hand on Ryan's shoulder as she leaned over him and plucked the cup of coffee from in front of him with her free hand. "What the hell?" He asked, throwing his hands up with annoyed exasperation. Brooke laughed down at him, patting his shoulder as he looked up at her, watching as she sipped the coffee.

"Thank you, sugar," she winked before walking a few steps away and sitting in a free chair at the table.

Jimmy all but stumbled out of the bathroom, trying to button his shirt up while also searching for his hat. "Can I borrow a truck?" He asked hopefully.

"Not mine," Brooke scoffed out, looking at the kid who's smile slightly deflated before turning to look at Lloyd.

"What for?"

Jimmy breathed out heavily, "Check should've cleared by now."

A hearty laugh escaped from Lloyd's lips, "That money's just burning a hole in yer pocket ain't it?"

"It's for my grandpa," Jimmy almost embarrassingly sighed out, rolling his eyes at the grief he was being given.

"Wait, Jimmy can you drive?"