seventeen

GODLESS

GODLESS.
chapter seventeen

"MAYBE WE JUST OUGHTA ROSIN his hand up so much he physically can't fall off?"

Lloyd laughed at the suggestion that fell flat from Brooke's lips as she sat on the fencing of the round pen. "I'm serious," she deadpanned as she shot a look over to the older man.

"He sits a bucking horse better than he does a sound one," Lloyd said with a pointed look.

Brooke and Lloyd had taken to officially teaching Jimmy the ropes of saddle bronc riding after the last attempt resulted her being called away by Kayce Dutton himself.

Brooke was still unsure what trouble Jimmy had found himself in, but it was clear something was wrong. No one took up bronc riding in their twenties on a whim, they did it because they needed the paycheck. And it was clear to see he needed the money bad.

There was some truth to Lloyd's words, Jimmy did have a tendency to fall off of a horse that was walking straight while somehow managing to hold his seat on a rank green colt.

"On the bright side, this will help break some of the colts," Brooke cocked her head to the side as she leaned against the fence as Lloyd tightened the cinch of the bronc saddle, the thick cotton lead rode in Brooke's hand.

From across the pen, Jimmy was pacing on his feet as his eyes stared down, his finger played with each other as he tried to hide his nerves and calm himself down by speaking under his breath.

"Jimmy," Brooke yelled to him as she waved him over. Moving closer to the horse as she grabbed the colt by his halter to hold him still for a moment. She used her body, Lloyd mimicking her, to press the colt against the strong fencing as if it was in a chute.

The nervous boy hastily walked over, Brooke shook her head at the boy. While she wasn't in the best of spirits these days, she knew what was to come would make her laugh.

"I don't get the point..." Jimmy complained, "I don't got enough money to enter anyways."

Brooke sighed out, "I'll give you the cash if it means you'll get on the horse," the dark haired woman could spare a few hundred if it meant Jimmy would have a chance of relieving himself from whatever trouble burdened him at that particular moment.