twenty

GODLESS

GODLESS.
chapter twenty.

THE YELLOWSTONE RANCH FELT far too different for comfort when Brooke woke up that next morning

THE YELLOWSTONE RANCH FELT far too different for comfort when Brooke woke up that next morning. There were too newly empty cots that had been cleared out over the weekend while she was out rodeoing.

Brooke couldn't lie, she was rather glad the Avery woman was gone. It was clear the two didn't get along. The Hasty wasn't a fan of cocky individuals— even though she was one herself (within reason, though).

Brooke didn't have many words to share over Walker's empty cot. The bunkhouse seemed a little quieter without him in the background plucking his six stringed guitar. While some of the men on the ranch would argue it was better without his songs, Brooke would disagree. The silence seemed far too loud now even though it had only been a short while.

What was oddest, though, was last night as Brooke laid on her bed alternating between brushing the felt of her hat and taking sips of the coors banquet sitting firmly between her thighs. Her eyes slowly moved to look at the door as it opened, curious as to who it was considering all wranglers were in the bunkhouse for the night already.

Through the door, walked the Dutton male that Brooke had interacted the least with. She had never expected to see Jamie anywhere away from the main house, truth be told, she considered the lawyer to be a city boy. None of the other ranch hands spoke for a moment as they watched him approach a bunk with his bags.

Soon enough, the word had traveled fast and Brooke learned all she needed. And by word traveling fast, Brooke meant that one night with her and Beth smoked two cigarettes together outside the barn, the later told Brooke all she needed to know. Jamie's arrogance didn't seem to overshadow his insecurities— not as his own father took a shotgun from his hands earlier that day.

Beth had also shared the story of the bruises that littered her face. How less than a few nights ago, men forced their way into her office and murdered her young assistant— Beth wasn't far from the same fate if it wasn't for Rip and her own pure stubborn will.