sixteen

GODLESS

GODLESS.
chapter sixteen.

BROOKE TIGHTENED THE leather cinch of the saddle that sat on the back of the black mare

BROOKE TIGHTENED THE leather cinch of the saddle that sat on the back of the black mare. Brandy stood still, containing the excitement that she felt knowing she was going to get to run for the first time in months- not caring about the unnamed foal she left behind that was pacing nervously in his paddock.

"You sure you can run with us?" Travis asked the woman, watching as she brought her dirty boot and hooked it in the stirrup. Brooke shot the man a knowing look as she grabbed at the horn and the cantle, pulling herself up. "I may not have them fancy sliding horse shoes, but I reckon I won't need them."

"All right, well fuck it," Rip laughed from his spot next to Travis as he began to let his horse walk forward under saddle.

"Want me to hold your beer?" Travis asked, to which Rip ignored with a scoff,  "Nope, beer's going with you. All right."

Brooke watched, her forearms crossed and pressed against the saddle horn as she leaned forward. Rip's gelding dug into the ground, front legs pulling forward as it slid through the dirt. "Even with a beer in my hand, too."

"Ah, that's not gonna get it done," Travis mocked as he took off down the pen. The ears of his grey horse pressed back against the wind as they raced off before sliding into the ground, much smoother than Rip had moments before.

Brooke let out a wolf whistle at the reining abilities of the horse Travis rode while he laughed, knowing he had beat Rip, "Money, money, money, money, money."

"Looking like a long 30, Colby."

"Yeah, thirty one," He rubbed the win in before looking down the arena and pointing a finger at the Hasty woman as if telling her to go.

Brooke nodded her head, loosen her grip on the reins in her hand as she lightly squeezed her spurs into the flank of the black mare. She kissed her teeth, the sound along with the pressure urged the mare forwards as they took off down the pen. Brooke sat back into the seat of the saddle, her hips staying still as the horse kept gaining speed.