five

GODLESS

GODLESS.
chapter five.

BROOKE TIGHTENED THE OLD blanket around her shoulders as she sunk further into the soft bedding of the horse stall

BROOKE TIGHTENED THE OLD blanket around her shoulders as she sunk further into the soft bedding of the horse stall. It seemed the carhartt sweatshirt wasn't providing enough warmth for the barn. Brandy, the black brood mare, was due to foal anytime soon as she neared the middle of the twelve month of her pregnancy. The Hasty girl felt more comfortable being by the mares side incase of emergency. That, and a foal being born was a truly spectacular thing.

"Hey," she looked up and smiled at the man standing at the stall door, "I brought you a plate."

"Thank you," she said with a hoarse and tired voice. She took the plate with outstretched arms.

Walker laughed at her frown as she looked down at the plate, "it was, uh, Jake's turn to cook..."

"Goddamnit," Brooke laughed but still opted to try the potatoes, "we gotta stop lettin that son of a bitch try to cook."

"I suppose that would be a good idea," walker said, slowly lowering himself to sit on the ground next to the woman, "we missed you at dinner tonight."

Brooke sighed, "well, I might be missin' quite a few. I'm waiting on something else," she said, pointing to the fatigued mare.

"Mind if I wait with you?" He asked, looking down at her slightly. Walker leaned his head back against the stall wall and tried to make himself comfortable.

"Go ahead," Brooke said, placing the plate down on the ground next to her, she had mustered up the courage to put jake's dinner down.

"Where you from?" Walker asked, trying to make conversation, "I ain't really got to know any of you yet."

"Born just south of here, Cody, Wyoming—"

"That ain't no Wyoming accent," walker pointed out, trying to call her on her bluff.

Brooke laughed, "you let me finish. Moved down to south Oklahoma back in my rodeo days. Spent all year, for nearly ten years, riding saddle broncs on the south western circuit.