twenty two

GODLESS

GODLESS.
chapter twenty two.

THE TRUCK DOOR LATCHED shut behind her as her feet hit solid ground and she slipped her keys into the pocket of her denim jacket

THE TRUCK DOOR LATCHED shut behind her as her feet hit solid ground and she slipped her keys into the pocket of her denim jacket. Ryan existed the passenger side while they both moved to approach Rip and his Yellowstone ranch truck mere feet away. The loud sound of heavy rock music rattled the trailed in front of them and echoed into the night.

Ryan had almost begged Rip to come along, citing that the badge he wore for the livestock commission hadn't kept him clean thus far and pointed a finger at Brooke to say she, too, wore a badge when they all knew she wasn't clean by any means. Maybe he would regret coming along eventually, but Brooke wasn't the one to stop him, not if it's what he wanted in the moment.

One of the two wore the brand, and it wasn't Ryan. That fact should have said everything that Rip needed to know about who was "clean" and who wasn't.

Kayce hadn't been fond of the fact that Rip had allowed the other man to join. Brooke almost felt a wave of doubt coming over her as she realized they cared far more for Ryan's image than they did hers— that they must not have thought very highly of her if Kayce suggested she come along. That hit her roughly as she realized that she was far worse of a person morally than she had originally thought. The youngest of the Dutton children was not coming along for the night task, Brooke had realized.

The crisp fall air nipped at her nose, the season nearing winter left Montana eerily chilled and windy by the time the sun had begun setting each night— mornings weren't all that much better though. She hugged her jacket tighter against her body as the wind rasped at her hair that flew freely beneath her felt hat, Brooke's ears a bright red from the cold breeze that passed through the land.

Her hand brought down the tailgate of the ram truck and she reached forward and grabbed one of the propane tanks while Ryan and Lloyd picked up the others. The men inside would be able to hear them over the sound of the music and the police wouldn't ever dare to question a trailer full of meth accidentally blowing up.