Prologue

Cleaning glassware behind the bar in peaceful quietness is what I enjoy doing when it isn't busy at work. Today is such a day. My colleagues look after our guests and ask me to make a drink here and there when somebody orders. Otherwise, I am left alone.

The door opens again, and I give an acknowledging look before I continue my cleaning. The two men approach the bar, and I can hear their heavy footsteps. There is something about them you can't ignore—an invisible but noticeable shining aura. My eyes feel drawn to them, but I know it is wrong to stare at the guests, so I ignore the urge to lift my gaze. They stop in front of me, and I can hear them sit down. My curiosity drives me to look up. I can't neglect our guests, I tell myself. I give them my best bartender smile and throw the towel over my shoulder. The man on the right wears his black hair in a man bun and has a long, stubble beard. There is not even the slightest blemish spoiling his appearance. I would call it inhumane wouldn't he sit right in front of me in flesh and blood. The other one has shorter golden hair framing his face beautifully. His skin is bronze and glowing, while the black-haired man looks pale. His appearance is radiant. They are so different, yet they sit together in a small pub to order drinks.

"What can I get you?" I ask them. I am eager to learn something about them because of the drinks they order. You can't be sure what type of person someone is with just knowing what they drink. But they tell on themselves after they are drunk, and then you get the confirmation if you were right. It is my little guessing game.

"Whiskey neat." Simple classy. This is the lone wolf drink. Those people want the strong stuff. The edgy type of person that can get rough after a few drinks. I grab the bottle behind me and fill half a glass for him. It is a low-effort drink for me. I put a wooden coaster before him and set his drink on top.

"I take a Gin cocktail." He thought about his drink. I would guess that he drinks something else every time. Trying out new things. He is an experimental guy, drinking for fun, not to get drunk.

"On the way." I fill the gin in the mixer and add sprite, lemon juice, and sugar syrup. I shake everything and make sure he is looking at my handiwork. I fill everything in a white wine glass and put ice in. I top it off with mint leaves and raspberries. I place the finished drink on the coaster before him and give them another smile. I felt awkward standing there, so I moved to the other side of the bar. Maybe he doesn't like my cocktail? I look back at them and see that the guy who ordered the whiskey tasted to drink first. I am not able to tell if they like the drink. They at least don't look like they hate it.

They talk and laugh, but I continue to work since I can't understand them from a distance. It is the first time I am not focused on them since they entered. I am surprised to see that nobody else seems to notice them. Usually, they acknowledge new people more than that. Am I just fixated on them like that? I take the towel from my shoulder and continue to clean the glass.

"That fucking bastard!" I almost let the glass fall when I hear my sister scream. The door hit the wall because she barged through it. I put the glass down and give the two guests closest an apologising glance.

"Πηνελόπη! Κάνε ησυχία. Τι συμβαίνει?" I tell her to be quiet and ask her what is going on. Penelope walks behind the bar crying and hugs me.

"Με χώρισε." She said that he had broken up with her. She cries even more. I pat her back in the hope of calming her down a bit.

"Γουλιέλμος?" I asked her if it was William, but he would be the only option anyway. I always hated William. I am glad it is done, but I am still incredibly sad for her. Will was a windbag. He talked for hours without saying anything at the same time. He continually lied to my sister, and he was so bad at it that we knew all the time.