Chapter Four

[Reader discretion advised: delusions]

I sit back on the wooden chair and listen to Penelope and Apollo talk. Their stories are captivating. I love that they enjoy their time with each other so much. And I am again proud to spend time with family and friends in my renovated bar. When you enter the bar, the first room is the anteroom, where you can put your jacket and bag. I built coat hooks there and set an umbrella stand in the small room for rainy days. It keeps the hardwood floor in the main room dry. I considered changing how this room looked but decided against it in the end. I like that it feels cosy. The stained glass windows on the right side of the bar let light in but hinder anyone from looking inside or outside. It gives my guests more privacy from passing people. On the left side is the bar where I usually spend my working time. There are no windows because there are other rooms behind it. Two doors lead out of the main room further into the building. One leads to the stairs where I get to my flat, and the other leads to a hallway. On the right side are toilets and on the left is the locker room where Hades and I just had our conversation. We change our clothes in the locker room, and I store a few things I need and more drinks and snacks at the back. The last door in the hallway leads outside behind the bar. My colleagues enter and leave there. The tables and chairs are dark wood and heavy. Nothing that is easily thrown around by drunk guests. My favourite spot is the pool table with two dark green couches. I have professional pool players who practice here once a week. Still, they are all regulars and visit multiple times a week. Most of my guests are regulars. I like to think that our service is so good that they want to return. But my bar is the only one in this area that might also play into it.

I hear the door open, and Hades returns and sits where he sat earlier. I clench my jaw and can barely look at him, I try not to be affected by him too much, but it is hard. I am a relaxed person, and I get along with others. If I disagree with someone, I keep it to myself, or we accept that we have a different opinion. I compromise with the other person if something doesn't work out well. But you can't compromise with an all-demanding god. I don't like how he jokes around, either. I like jokes, just not his. My sister got my attention back to her when she spoke to me.

"There is a fantastic restaurant that opened here, Hades and you should go there. Apollo and I already went, and it was an incredible experience." I am not going out for dinner with him in a million years. I don't get along with Hades.

"That sounds like a good idea. It is on me. I would love to invite you." Hades looks at me. I wish I could say no to others. But he is even offering free, well-made food, so it is impossible to decline the offer. I have no idea why he wants to spend time with me and make us both suffer.

"Thank you, that sounds wonderful." I cannot fake a smile, but Penelope wouldn't care because all her ideas are great, and I need to give her ideas a chance. I hope she is right. Apollo looks like he knows how I would love to say no, and Hades' only motivation is to anger me more because he enjoys bothering me or whatever his motivation is.

"Good, you two should go this evening and stay out for the night. I reserved you two a table." Apollo gives us an awkward smile, and I wonder why Penelope wants me to be away. I stare at her until she tells us. "Apollo and I want to party a bit, and you have all the drinks and space." She stretches out her arms and looks around. She could have just asked me for that, but I like that I at least get food out of it. I have to hold onto the food.

"Okay, clean everything and write down what you eat and drink. If it is just a few drinks, it is on me. Otherwise, you guys pay me back." I set my boundaries to make sure everything goes smoothly. I can't give away free drinks all the time, and Apollo is immortal. I am sure he has enough money to pay me back.