Chapter Three

[Reader discretion advised: mentioning of chronic feelings of emptiness and death]

I wake up and feel terribly stiff. My spine is cracking as I sit up on my brown leather couch. I shouldn't have stayed awake for so long. I slept so bad. My whole body aches, and I still feel tired. I stand up and shamble over the carpet to my kitchen. I press the button of my coffee machine after filling it, and the sound instantly gives me a headache. I can feel my head throbbing and hot. I throw in an aspirin pill and hold my mouth under the tap to drink and wash it down. While my coffee needs more time, I put a pan on the stove to make myself eggs and beacon. I sit in my kitchen and eat as soon as I finish everything. I read the news on my phone, but nothing interests me. I wash the dishes and let them dry next to the sink.

Boring.

I walk to my bedroom and get black pants, a white shirt and a black vest for work. I take them with me to the bathroom, and after I go to the toilet, I shower. I brush my teeth inside the shower to save time even though I am not in any hurry. I get out and dry my hair. As soon as it isn't dripping wet anymore, I dress and comb and style my hair. Back in my living room, I put on black socks and my patent leather shoes. They are comfortable, and I can walk in them for hours without sore feet. I position a dark green tie at the front and look at myself in the mirror.

Boring.

I take my phone and charger and walk down to the bar to plug my phone in and listen to Space Oddity by David Bowie. I sweep the floor and the tables. I put new coasters on the tables and bring the old ones to the kitchen so they can be washed. I take out all the money left in the register and take it to the Tresor to store it securely. I fill the cash register with change, switch the lights in the bar on, and tidy the snooker table. I go to the door and turn the sign to 'open' like every day. I sit behind the bar with another classic book and wait for guests.

Boring.

I welcome the guests and make them the drinks they want. They leave the bar or sit by themselves when they have what they want. The students order coffee and are obnoxiously loud as they wait. At 6 p.m., Lily started her shift, and around that time, more guests came here. They ordered their drinks and then sat far away, talking with their friends and sometimes Lily. They come and go, but even as they go, no one stays on my mind. I can barely see their faces. It is a blurry picture. I try to make out their features, but as soon as they are gone, I cannot remember one thing making them memorable. They are unpainted frames, just like everyone else. I end my day and sleep after washing myself and eating.

Boring.

I wake up and sit up on my bed. I stand up and go to my kitchen. I press the button of my coffee machine and place a pan on the stove to make myself feta toast with spinach. I sit in my kitchen and eat while I read the news. Nothing interests me. I wash the dishes and let them dry next to the sink. I put the old ones back.

Dull.

I shower and go to the toilet. I dress in grey pants, a white shirt and a grey vest for work. I brush my teeth, comb and style my hair, and wear black socks and shoes. My blue tie is straight as I gaze into the mirror for a second.

Dull.

I plug my phone in and listen to Starman by David Bowie. I sweep the floor and the tables. I prepare the cash register, light the bar, and tidy everything. I go to the door and turn the sign to 'open' I sit behind the bar and stare at the shelf.

Dull.

I make drinks alone. Lily started her shift. Did she? I don't remember seeing her face around. I sleep after washing myself and eating.