Chapter 23: Last

Mina's POV

"It's beautiful!"

My friends surround me with smiles plastered across all their faces. Sana is right. The ring is beautiful, Seungkwan knows me well. While all the girls rejoice in my engagement I know someone is missing.

"Does anyone know where Nayeon went?"

I direct my eyes towards Tzuyu, the last person I saw with her.

"Ah, she said she'd be right back but she's been gone for a while unnie"

I frown. She's missed another big moment in my life...

"She wasn't feeling well earlier was she?" Chaeyoung comments

"Oh yeah, she hasn't slept in days" Jeongyeon adds on

"Really? But she was out here all day, she prepared everything for tonight" Sana says

"That girl never knows when to quit" Momo shakes her head

"Maybe she went home, she's probably exhausted then. Let's just call her later girls" Jihyo leads

I sigh. My heart is over the moon being engaged to the man I will love for the rest of my life, but my mind is running circles worrying about my best friend who apparently pushed herself to her limits for me.

---

I climb the metal stairwell. I've only been to Nayeon's apartment a few times and only for a few minutes each time, but since she's sick I want to take care of her for once. She's always stuck doing things for me.

I excitedly waddle to her door. I cooked up a large batch of porridge for her, I know she's not the best at cooking. I raise my arm ready to knock on the door but the voices inside stop me.

"Jeongyeon, please."

"Nayeon you can't just run away every time life gets tough."

"I'm not running away from my problems. I'm giving myself the chance to heal"

Run away? Heal? What's wrong now? She didn't tell me any of her problems...

"Are you saying you're going to start moving on?"

"I'm going to try, I don't really have any other choice now"

I don't have a clue what they're talking about. I begin to feel guilty eavesdropping so I impulsively just bang on the door. There's immediate rustling inside. Jeongyeon swings open the door greeting me.

"Mina! Come in, I was just heading out"

I awkwardly step inside and watch Nayeon and Jeongyeon give each other strange eye signals before Jeongyeon leaves me and Nayeon alone.

I swallow hard at the sight before me.

Nayeon's face is shallow and pale with dark circles shadowing her under eyes. Her hair sticks out in awkward places and her outfit consists of an oversized hoodie and plaid pajama shorts. That's my beautiful best friend.

"Minaya what are you doing here?"

"I heard you were sick"

I take the spot on the couch directly next to her and reach for her forehead. Jesus.

"You're totally burning up"

I look down from her forehead to her eyes that unexpectedly stare right back at me. Nayeon's mouth is wide open without a thought leaving her mind in complete disbelief. I chuckle and raise an eyebrow at her.

"No I'm not" she finally replies with a goofy smile elaborately raising her puffy cheeks

"Really Nayeon."