The Emperor

Leonora walked back to her office, to find her pet raven in her window. She let her in, and she had a letter for who she could only believe to be her. Leonora gingerly took the letter, and the raven nipped at her hand. She opened the letter and it read:

Dearest Mother,

I hope you are doing well, it has been a long time since your last visit. I miss you greatly. Hope to see you soon, I love you mother

Sincerely Yours,

Aric Lesso

She closed the envelope and set it on her desk and went to bed. As much as Aric wasn't biologically hers, he is still her responsibility as his biological aunt. He doesn't know that, and Leonora wouldn't change it for the world. The following morning, Leonora woke up and completed her morning routine. How am I going to repay him? Can I tell him? Should I tell him? Can he know about Clarissa I will be? Should I tell Clarissa about Aric? Can I? She thought in a constant cycle. "Lesso? Are you alright, My love?" Clarissa asked, seeing how abnormally, almost eerily quiet she was. "Hm? Oh, I was thinking-" Leonora trailed off, with one hand on her stomach out of impulse. "Care to talk about it?" Clarissa offered, in hopes of clearing Leonora's mind before it goes too far. "I-I don't know if I can" Leonora muttered in hesitation. "What do you mean?" Clarissa asked. "Uh, Secrets," Leonora answered. Clarissa looked at Leonora with a look, and then a look of realization. She grabbed the taller one's wrist and dragged her into her office. "Argh! What the fuck?!" Leonora complained, rubbing her limp wrist, bracing herself as she pops it back in place. "I have a few questions that you have to answer," Clarissa demanded. "Well, Shit! You didn't have to do that now did you?" Leonora asked in frustration. "Do you have a family outside of the school?" Clarissa asked. "Not quite, It's just my son really," Leonora confessed. "YOU HAVE A KID?!" Clarissa yelled while Leonora flinched her face. "He's Not Mine!!" Leonora yelled in response. "He doesn't know that, and I wouldn't change that for the world" Leonora murmured, opening her pocket watch to the portrait of a younger auburn-haired girl, and an older girl with deep brown hair while sliding down the wall. "I'm sorry if that came off as aggressive" Clarissa apologized, rubbing her dear friend's shoulder. "It's fine, Just promise not to tell anyone?" Leonora requested. "My lips are sealed," Clarissa reassured her. "Good, anything else?" Leonora asked quite rudely. Clarissa had to think about it, "Since you said that your son wasn't biologically yours, then who were his parents?" Clarissa asked. Leonora started to tear up, "You knew this was coming, Leonora" She whispered to herself. She let out an exasperated sigh, "I had an older sister, Deep Chocolate Brown Hair, Rich Emerald Eyes, Skin as Fair as Porcelain" Leonora confessed, "She fell in love with a soldier, and they later had a son," Leonora continued, "But shortly after the child was born, someone broke into their estate, killing both my sister and her husband" Leonora finished, as a tear fell from her eye. "I'm sorry, You must have been close" Clarissa consoled her friend. "More than you'd know" Leonora responded in depressed melancholy. "Welp, this was fun, I have too much shit to do" Leonora dismissed herself, trying to lift herself from the ground, almost failing. She limped off to her office, over the bridge.