Chapter 3

At Summer Cove, Devon Daniels wore a red flannel shirt over his dark skin, getting ready for the semi-finals of another E-Sport Regional Tournament for Backstreet Brawler 3. Grateful for Commander Shaw allowing the core team to focus on their adventures while Ben and Betty were assigned to focus on the new Morph X-Tower for the city, he recollected his adventures with the other dinosaur Power Rangers teams. There would be a time he'd have to determine what to do after Evox would get defeated for good. For now, this is what they needed.

As he got ready to enter the stadium, a group of young adults surrounded him.

"Sorry guys, I'm a little busy right now, got a match to win."

He tried to walk past them. They didn't let him.

"Yeah, no, that's not gonna happen." He blocked the punches of two of the four. The third one splashed water in his eyes, staggering him. Using his martial arts training and hearing, he rolled under them and his fast movements blocked a kick. He wiped his face off as the last person was about to strike him with a broom. In that split second, if he used his hands to block, that would hinder his focus.

Smoke emerged in a flash, and a hand caught the broom in an instant.

"Attacking your friend's opponent before the match? That's not very epic," spinning it around and shielding Devon as he drove them back. The security outfit on his red shirt was enough for them to worry.

"Wanna go back to the stands or leave?"

The group elected to walk back into the stadium while he helped Devon up.

"Thanks. Have we met before?"

"Don't think so. Brody Romero's name. Devon Daniels right? Saw your name on the sign up sheets, wanted to make sure everyone had a fair shot."

"Sure, I owe you one. If I win, let's grab lunch. Maybe even go for a round."

"Eh, I don't play games much."

"Come on, give it a chance."

Brody relented. "Alright, sure. If you win."

Devon made sure to keep his promise. Picking the ninja character Sensei Bones got Brody invested in watching. Despite his opponent picking Sinister Sasha, he timed his buttons right, shielding the zombified sai warriors attacks and counterattacking at the right time. His opponent kept him on their toes as the two's health bars reached critical.

Just as his opponent went for the killing blow, Devon activated Sensei Bones' special abilities, a last second teleport, and performed a three slash barrage followed by a finishing kick to end the fight.

"Game Over. Winner, Devon Daniels!"

After Devon received the cash prize, he took Brody out for burgers, the latter admitting he'd gotten fond of it thanks to his brother. To hold the check, Devon called Cruise over, who accidentally transformed in front of them.

"Sorry Devon, something's up with my circuits."

"It's alright Cruise, I'll have Nate look after you later."

He got a call on the wristcom, surprised to see General Burke. "Something wrong, General?"

"There was a bit of an incident back at your home base. Has anything strange happened at Summer Cove?"

"No sir, should we head back?"

"No. Complete your mission. I've sent out the other soldiers out to defend the towers in case anything happens. If the situation calls for it, I'll alert the Rangers to return to Coral Harbor."

"Understood." Brody was right there when he looked up.

"Wait, you're a Power Ranger?" Before Devon could deny it, Brody summoned a Ninja Star Blade and a Battle Morpher and it vanished immediately.

"Mick said he replicated a Star Blade for Grid Battleforce."

"Ah. Reintro, Devon Daniels, Beast Morphers Red Ranger."

"Brody Romero, Ninja Steel Red."

He ended up teaching his predecessor how to play, to middling results.

"So how did you do that combo from before," trying to press the right buttons to little avail. Devon suggested he try multiple, yet different combinations, giving him much better success.

"Stuck on an alien spaceship for a game show, must've been rough."

"It was," almosting finding the video game just as hard. "Even with my ninja skills, fighting against Ripcon, Odius, Galvanax acting like the I son I never was, I guess I just became numb to it all until I found a way to escape."

"So what are you up to now that it's over?"

"Just doing my part. Teaching martial arts, helping out, I'm just not sure where to go after I graduate. What about you? "

"Well after we beat Evox, I'd guess, I dunno. Professional ESports, training at the Riptide Gym, but I'm not really sure. All I ever wanted was dad to see I was taking my future seriously, but now I'm not sure.

Hope you figure it out," noticing the Morph-X Tower in the middle of the city. "If you're free, let's check out how everyone else is doing."

The two Red Rangers agreed, leaving the gaming section of the Ribbon Tree Tien Center.