Chapter 5

A young blonde had satisfied another customer at a familiar auto repair shop, swapping out his regular yellow shirt and jeans jacket for a black and red uniform, while his client drove off. His boss, wearing a cap, a beard, and maintaining an infectious smile, tapped him on the shoulder.  

"Gonna be graduating next year huh. Sure you shouldn't be using this time studying?"

"I'm trying to not be so lazy anymore. And I'm finding a balance of work and prep. There's always more to learn, and I don't want to give up on myself anymore. Not for the people counting on me now, and not in the future."

"Proud of you kid. Being a mechanic takes a lot of skills, and even NASADA's gonna need support like you. For now, you could take over for me until that day comes."

"Well I'm not sure about that, but I'll do my best."

At Joe's Towing, a group of greasers from out of the heckled the crew to fix their cars.

Calvin recognized him instantly much to his dismay: Ace, and voiced his disdain, asking his boss to take this one in case someone else rolled up while he was busy.

"Hey Cal, I need a new wrench."

"Sure boss." He headed back into the supply room, finding most of them broken and bent. Not wanting Joe to waste his money on supplies, Calvin swung the element Star into his star blade, channeling it into reforging the wrench and replenishing the metal of most of the material in the room.

However, when he got back another gang was heckling Ace's group, threatening the quartet.

"Hey hey, break it up."

"Back off," pushing Joe into a car.

"Hey, back off my boss!"

Calvin flipped over, striking the pole out of the star blade and smacking the gang's pipes and poles out of their hands. Ace's crew cowered behind him, asking to stop them.

"Leave now or we'll contact the authorities."

They were about to charge at them when a rabbit shaped robot emerged from the nearby bushes.

"What's with this strange little creature?"

"Hey, don't call me little! Go get 'em Ranger Yellow."

A ranger in sunlight leather attire approached the car shop, shocking Calvin.

"A yellow ranger. Hey, ain't they look a little different from the one in town?"

"Good morning citizens," she spoke in a gruff voice. "Grid Battleforce Beast Morphers Yellow Ranger at your service. What seems to be the problem?"

"These punks stole our oil refill at the last gas station. And now our ride has barely any gas in it!"

"We didn't. We paid and saw one open."

Calvin wasn't sure what to do in this situation, other than getting Joe to a hospital while the new ranger pulled out a canister of Morph-X.

"How about you use this for your empty tank," handing the opposing gang it. "As for you," addressing Ace, "did they fix your ride?"

"Almost. Doubt this near dropout can finish the job."

"Hey, watch me," going under the hood and fixing the engine in a matter of minutes. The Yellow Ranger spent some time inserting it, but got stuck when Calvin helped her finish it up.

The two groups found their cars in much better condition than before, responding to the leather suit rangers request to leave amicably.

Calvin lifted Joe up, who had fallen unconscious.

"Can you help me get him to a hospital?"

"Follow her Mr. Blondie."

Calvin got Joe into the back of his truck, while the Yellow Ranger picked up Jax and asked him to watch over Joe, pushing Calvin into the shotgun.

"Full speed ahead."

"Hey, this is my ride," before settling in. "Huh, this takes me back."

She demorphed into her human form, a fellow blonde in a yellow jacket and white shirt.

"Zoey Reeves, at your service! It's an honor to meet another ranger. Calvin Maxwell, is it?"

"Right. You know who I am?"

"You were in the Ranger Handbook. Defeated a monster who zapped the power out of most of the city, and Roxy wrote a report on dating protocols regarding Ranger duty. You two really are an inspiration."

"Wow." Only just about a year ago, people had only seen him as a lazy grease monkey and potential dropout Hayley had pity for. Mick had told them another team was gathering information from all the team to help a new team but had no idea he of all people could lead an impact. "By the You're an engineer?

"Well, I dabble a bit, I've been working with my boyfriend a lot more in zord maintenance as of late. That was my first time actually fixing up a car."

"Wait, that was your first time?"

"I'm not afraid of big problems, I solve big problems. Even if I cause them sometimes," scratching her head with an embarrassed smile on her face.

Able to help if she wasn't great at it. She reminded him of Hayley.

"Oh no, Hayley, I forgot!"

"Huh?"