|8| The Best Secret

"Din this is ridiculous." You whine, not sure if you're more tired or embarrassed. He's been trying to teach you how to shoot a blaster for 3 days and so far you've come to the conclusion that if a Hutt stayed really really still and was very close you *might* hit them.

"Look, we aren't always in the nicest of places and if anything hap-" he clears his throat. "Again."

You drag your feet as you return to stand in-front of the makeshift target. You raise the blaster up with two hands, trying to remember your stance. At least you are still parked in the middle of nowhere on some backwater planet so you don't have to worry about witnesses to your sorry attempts to shoot. Your eyes lock on the hastily painted circle on a scrap hull plate. You take a deep breath and squeeze the trigger - and the beam of light sparks off the corner of the plate. You kick a small rock and curse, glaring at the slight movement of Din's shoulders. "Are you LAUGHING at me?!" You say as incredulously as you can muster. Din holds his hands up in surrender, stepping over to you. You groan and roll your eyes as he once again begins to place your body parts for you. His hands turn your shoulders square to the target, his boot comes between your legs to kick your feet further apart. You smirk over your shoulder as his body presses into you to help you raise the blaster and aim - he just nods in the direction of the target. Huffing, you turn your gaze back to it. His free arm wraps around you, his large hand encompassing your ribs just below your breast. "Breathe in." He instructs, feeling your chest expand. "Good, you can do this." You swallow hard as the hand covering yours on the blaster moves away slightly. "Breathe out." he whispers "Fire."

You are stunned as the bolt leaves the barrel and leaves a smoking black dent right on the edge of the circle.

Baby let's out a squeal and Din picks you up and spins you around. You can't contain your laughter as the display of affection tickles your chest. "Oh Ner Cyar'ika I knew you could do it!" He exclaims as he sets you back down in front of the target, the tone of pride in his voice making your heart leap.

"Ner cyarwat?" You turn and arch an eyebrow at him.

He tucks your loose hair behind your ear, "It means 'my darling'". Your face burns and you get a flutter in your belly as he playfully spins you back to the target, trying to be casual. "Again".

You continue for a couple more hours until Din is satisfied you are consistently hitting within the circle, and you are feeling much more confident.

———

You are in Din's bunk, baby in your lap as you gently rock your legs side to side, singing to him and rubbing his ears as he's finally giving in to sleep.

"We arrive at Nevarro by morning to meet with Karga." You jump a little, stars you didn't even notice he was standing there - how long has he been there? You need to put a bell on that man.

You gently set the baby in his hammock and shimmy out, closing the hatch. His voice sounds hesitant. "There's something you should know..."
You give a little laugh to break the tension "what you got another girl there?"
Din gives a half hearted chuckled and reaches up to rub his neck.

Oh man.. is this serious?

"So... I just realized I never told you... it's just, you can't call me Din there. Or anywhere other than when we are here, alone."

You knit your brows together, slightly confused.

"No one outside my covert knows my name. I haven't heard it spoken since I was a child." He admits, sighing.