| 18 | Seeing

"Well, I don't see how you will even catch this one without the best bounty hunter in the guild but okay..." you tease Din as he slings his rifle over his back, ready to leave.

"I'll try to manage." He chuckles back.

He gives Grogu a little handshake and places his hand softly on your cheek before walking out the hatch, and you seal it behind him.

Time on the ship without Din seems to pass differently. You play with the little bug, start and finish a book and do some minor panel repairs - just busy work. You join the little gremlin in some of what you assume is meditation before he decides hunger is more important than inner peace and starts climbing all over you. "Alright, alright," you say as you get up to find him some dry rations. When you offer them to him he surprisingly turns his nose up at them.

Well that's a first.

"I know buddy," you shrug, "but we haven't resupped yet - this is all we got."

He looks at the door and makes a noise.

"Uhhhhhhhh...." Your voice trails off as you realize you have never left this ship without Din. It's oddly intimidating, besides - is that allowed? What would he say? "I don't know bug..."

Grogu takes a few steps towards the door, pointing and mumbling nonsense.

Maybe quick. Din said it was a safe planet?

Grogu walks back and tugs on your pant leg.

It's not like you're a prisoner.

You find yourself incredulously grabbing your pack and a few credits.

What if he returns and you are gone?

You scribble him a quick note and leave it on his weapon locker.

"Well... here goes nothing." You say scooping up the kid and nestling him in your bag. He makes a happy noise and claps his little hands as you reach for the door controls - but your hand stops.

You wheel back around and before you can even think what you are doing you grab the small blaster you've practised with from the locker and tuck it in your waistband. You quickly stride back to the door, smacking the control to open it before you can change your mind.

The air blows sweet and cool on your face. The sun blinds you for a second before illuminating a quiet little seaside port.

"Real quick, you hear? Just basics." You say as you close the hatch behind you - though you are not sure if you say it to inform the kid or to comfort yourself.

You feel significantly less confident without your tower of metal and danger to part the crowds for you as you pass through the streets to a small market. The delicious smells in the air make your stomach growl.

It does not take long before Grogu is frantically waving and pointing as some sort of sea creature on a stick at one of the stalls.

"How much?"

"1 credit each, or 3 for 2."

Grogu looks up to give you his best begging eyes.

"Better make it 3 then." You smile, handing him the payment. The vendor thanks you and you can't help but wander a little more. Eyeing the beautiful fabrics and curious little trinkets. You stop to smell a bouquet of flowers and find some interesting looking fruits you manage to barter a deal on.

As you stroll through the streets you feel your uneasiness wash away. You decide to look around just a little more. Grogu cons you into a little soft frog toy - and you think he is a little disappointed it's not edible, which makes you chuckle.