|13| Help

You look up from your novel and smile at the baby. You two are huddled in your old bunk, which is now his. He's sitting so peacefully, legs crossed and eyes closed, floating his little metal ball in front of him. Just as you turn your attention back to your book, you hear the clink of the ball hitting the ground as Grogu's eyes snap open and he makes a small sound.
"What's wrong kiddo?" You ask, setting your book to the side.
"Du" he babbles, standing himself up and waddling out into the hull. He stops at the doorway and turns to look at you. "Du"
You sigh, "Ok bug, I'm coming, I'm coming."

You follow his little waddles through the hull and he points at the hatch.

"I know bug, he's coming back. I promise." You shoo him towards the front of the ship. "Let's find you a snack ya little womp rat."

Just then the hatch hisses open, causing you to jump.

The target stumbles through with a rough shove from Din. You take a step back out of their way. The target's eyes stay locked on the floor as he is ushered to the Carbonite chamber. Din clumsily slams a fist onto the control panel and the gasses flood over the bounty - and you see a small smug smirk on his face.

As Din turns towards the two of you, you start to greet him when your words catch in your throat.

Din falls to his knees.

You rush over to catch him when you feel the sticky heat of blood on your hand. You look down in horror to see your hand stained crimson.

"Shit."

"Tha- ts- what- I- said." he groans weakly.

As quickly and carefully as you can you start peeling layers off of him, flinging beskar bits and padding every which way until he is in just his flight suit. You start tugging his top off and Din let's out a sound that stops your heart.

"Okay, uh - shit, okay" you manage amongst your innate panic babble, "I'm gonna need you to help me a little here."

Din weakly lifts his arms and ducks his head and you manage to pull it off as he shouts in pain. You throw it to the side and it makes a sickly wet sound.

Your eyes fall immediately at the ragged stab wound - about 3 inches long, just under his ribs - blood still trickling out. You rip your shirt over your head and ball it up. Din's hand shoots to the side of your neck as you press the fabric into the wound. He groans and his grip is like steel on you.

"I know - it's ok - it's ok. Just. Here." You struggle to loosen his grip on your neck and guide his hand over yours over the bundle. "Pressure. Hold here, I'll get a med pack."

You scramble to your feet and run to the bulkhead, fumbling the med pack out of its holder and running back. Two big black eyes catch your attention as you fall back to your knees in front of Din. "Oh bud, he's ok, he's gonna be just fine." You begin rifling through the kit. "He just needs a bit of medicine that's all." Panic starts to set in as you get to the bottom of the bag and still don't see the Bacta Syringe. A gloved hand grabs your wrist and as your gaze meets the visor it hits you.

He used it for you.

Your eyes shut for a moment at the memory, coming out of the shower in a daze - the needle in your thigh. The sweet sweeping feeling of falling into sleep. Waking days later, head healed and the whole ordeal only a fuzzy distant whisper in your mind.