CHAPTER ONE

Death didn't always mean the end, at least it didn't for Sol Gilbert. Her end was a little more complicated. Her end went by the name Kol Mikaelson.

Some would argue that it was her parent's death, or even her death itself, but those people would be wrong.

Now here she was, standing in formation with her fellow soldiers, ready to be greeted by her family.

Elena and Jeremy watched as the hundreds of soldiers walked out in formation, drums going off with each step until they came to a stop.

Families all rushed to their son or daughter, Elena and Jeremy waiting till the very end until it was just her standing there.

Sol fought the incoming smile on her face as she watched her younger siblings walk toward her.

Tears dripped down the younger siblings' faces as they started running before jumping into their older sister's awaiting arms. It had been a year since they last saw her, a year and a half since she had drowned.

When she woke up in the hospital bed and the doctor told her what happened her mind broke along with her heart. So she did what any depressed kid would do, she joined the air force.

It was a rather rash decision, made far too quickly, but it went well in the end. And now here she was, a fully-fledged pilot for the military, standing in the comforting arms of her siblings.

"I missed you guys so much," she mutters into Elena's neck, both siblings refusing to let go of their hold on her.

"Missed you more, S."

Sol smiles brightly as she looks around, "Where's Aunt Jenna?"

"She couldn't make it, too much work at the university. She said she'd see you at home though."

Sol smiles. Home. It felt like it had been a century since she had last stepped through the white door of the Gilbert home.

"So, what are we doing today?"

"There's a dance at the school? I think it's the 80's? No, the 60's."

"Then I better get my dancing shoes on."

— — —

"Please sign here and here," A lawyer says as Elena and Bonnie sit in the Salvatore Boarding house.

"So this place is all yours? They just gave it to you?" Bonnie questions as she watches the doppelganger sign the papers.

"For now. As sole owner, I'm the only one who can invite a certain type of person in here."

"Your own personal safe house."

"That's the idea."

Bonnie looks behind her at the large parlour, "Wouldn't want to clean it."

Both girls laugh as Elena continues to sign, the lawyer leaving only moments later.

"What about Sol and Jeremy? Are they gonna be living here? I mean Sol doesn't even know about the supernatural."

Elena glances up at the witch, "And we're gonna keep it that way. With Klaus here, it's too dangerous for her to know."

"She just fought in a war, Lena. I think she can handle herself."

"That's my point, Bonnie. She just fought in a war, don't you think she is gonna have some sort of PTSD? I don't think she has even given herself time to grieve our parents. I'll tell her eventually... Just not right now."

Bonnie sighs, slightly agreeing with the Gilbert girl. "You're right. Sorry."

The doe-eyed girl smiles, outstretching her hand before leading the witch to the door where Stefan and Damon stood.