CHAPTER FIFTEEN

A/N

Get your tissues ready, sweethearts

"We're leaving. Now. We are not staying here any longer," Kol stated as he walked back inside his and Sol's shared bedroom three days after Rebekah had been daggered.

After he had woken from his 'slumber,' Klaus, Elijah and Rebekah had confronted Esther and Finn, only for the mother-son duo to disappear into the night.

"Leaving? Don't your siblings need you?"

"I'm of no use to them until mother dearest is found so... And your little brother is in Denver so I thought you might want to see him- be away from your sister."

"I thought you hated Denver? Actually, I thought you hated most of America"

"I'll go if it means you'll be happy. And I would like to spend these last three months with you before you leave."

Sol grinned. "Alright then, Mr. Mikaelson. Let's go to Denver and if you're lucky, we'll join the mile-high club."

The boy blushed, ducking his head to hide the redness as he chuckled. "You, my darling, never fail to surprise me."

— — —

"Jeremy!" Sol yelled excitedly from across the dog park, her hand intertwined with Kol's as she walked over to her brother, with a pep in her step.

"Sol? Sol, what the hell?" He questioned, a golden retriever by his side as he glared at her.

The Mikaelson beside her frowned at the younger boy's reaction. He gritted his teeth when he noticed the glare on Jeremy's face.

"Where did you run off to this time? Was it Florida this time? What? Did you come back for money because I can assure you I have none. Just leave, Sol. And this time, never come back."

Sol breathed out as she watched her brother walk away, the small dog following after him. "I deserved that," She stated, tearing her eyes off of the ground, and staring at the greenery that surrounded her.

"No, you didn't," Kol spoke up, still glaring at Jeremy's disappearing figure.

"No, I did. It's true. I came back after a year only to leave unexpectedly and then I came back for the night and disappeared once again... I never even thought to come back and see him. God, I'm a terrible sister."

"You're not a terrible sister. You needed time to grieve and Nik did kidnap you without a choice. And if I recall correctly, you did try to contact them and none of them answered. You did everything you could."

"But it still wasn't enough."

"You are enough, Sol. You're more than enough and if your siblings can't see it, to hell with them because, darling, you are more than enough for me. I know it's early but I'm in love with you and I have been ever since I met you."

He paused before continuing, "Don't feel pressured to say it back. The last thing I want is to make you feel-"

He was cut off by her lips smashing against his, the act silencing him. It was a quick kiss, only lasting a few seconds before they pulled apart, their foreheads resting against each other as they breathed heavily.

"I'm in love with you too, Kol. I don't think I've ever loved someone as much as I love you."

He smiled, his heart beating a little faster as he leaned back down to capture her lips in yet another kiss. It was soft and comforting. He couldn't describe the feeling. It felt like what he imagined heaven to be.

She was his heaven. In life and death, she would forever be his heaven.

— — —

They had stayed in Denver for a week, choosing to keep their eyes on the youngest Gilbert during their short stay.

Though Kol didn't appreciate Jeremy's words, he stayed for Sol. The girl had gotten quieter since she got the call from the Colonel and Kol had noticed. He knew there was always a risk with her job; he just chose to not think about it.

He had seen videos of her flying, small snippets of her fighting; she had even attempted to teach him Jiu-Jitsu once which in his case, didn't end well. Thank god for vampire healing.

He knew Sol loved her job, it was like a second home to her and the people were a second family. He knew it brought peace to her, the feeling of adrenaline as she dodged bullets and missiles.

So, he would always respect her going back.

Over the last seven days, Sol had frequented the dog park, staying on a bench on the far side, watching Jeremy as he played with his friends, a smile always on his face.

She hadn't seen Jeremy so happy since before the death of their parents. It hurt her to know he was happy living without her but she understood.

She should never have left him. He was a fifteen-year-old boy who had lost his only parental figures and she just left. Everyone had their different ways of grieving and it just so happened that hers were leaving and his were drugs, neither of which went well together.

However, she knew it was for the best. Elena and Jeremy would be fine without her. They had Stefan, Damon, and even Alaric to take care of them. They didn't need their big sister anymore.

So as she sat on that worn down, wooden bench she said a final silent goodbye—a goodbye to her old life, a goodbye to her old family.

She was no longer a Gilbert.

She was just Sol. The forgotten sister.

A/N

Well, that was depressing. Blame my sad playlist for fueling this.