Life in Prison

Today begins like every other day, I wake up with the unwelcoming cold air in my cell, my body aches from sleeping on the metal floor, and my suit that I wear all day rubs uncomfortably on my dry scales. It's all miserable and I have to go through with it.

After a few Vargas of waiting, I see one of the soldiers in front of the door through the window. As they open up, I bow my head like I'm supposed to every time the Galra approaches me. He walks inside and addresses me,

"It is time for your flight test, Starblaze."

"Yes, sir." I reply respectfully.

Starblaze, that's what they always call me, I think it's just because it sounds more fierce than Kayleigha.

I continue to gaze at the floor as the guards walk me through the halls and we enter the training deck where Commander Zentil is waiting. When we approach him, I glance up to see the lead guard salute to the commander as he returns the favor. Then Zentil turns to me and I quickly look back down before he can notice.

"Stand tall, Starblaze." He growls at me, "A fighter shouldn't always cower to those above them."

I do as he says and lift my head, moving my body into a more attentive position, trying to look more intimidating than before. Zentil circles while inspecting me as he speaks,

"For as long as you've been here, we've taught you the ways of the Galra, made you a loyal servant to our Emperor, and turned you into a weapon that will soon fight for our Empire. Until that day comes, you must complete whatever tasks that are provided to you for now. Do you understand?"

"Yes, sir." I nod.

"Now, for your flight test, I want you to retrieve that diamond up there and try to not get hit by the drones guarding it as you go over them."

He points over to the other side of the room where a violet crystal is hanging up on the ceiling and a whole squad of drones stands between us and my task. I just stand still for a few ticks, staring at the number of drones in front of me, I don't think I can get through them.

"Well, don't just stand there, lizard!" Zentil barks at me, "Fetch!"

I snap back into focus and quickly open up my wings, flapping them as hard as I can, and I rush toward the diamond as fast as my wings can carry me. The robots start firing as soon as I'm in the air. I twist and turn all around, trying to keep dodging their blasts, until I manage to reach for the jewel and immediately turn around as soon as I have hold of it. As I fly back, one of the drone's blasts grazes my right hind leg. I make a small screech of pain but continue to fly until I make it past them and land near Zentil. They stop firing when I touch the ground.

It's a bit of a rough landing, but I manage to not fall to the floor with just 3 ½ legs.

I hand the diamond to Zentil as he approaches me, "Well done. You've grown much stronger than I expected."

"And I had to go through all that over a diamond." I manage to speak while out of breath.

"Don't talk back to me like that, Starblaze." He glares at me, "You are to show your leaders the respect they deserve."

"But I could've been killed! Why should I have to be respectful of that?!" I growl back. I immediately regret my actions as Zentil suddenly grabs one of my ears and pulls my head down, causing me to whimper at this added pain.

"Do not forget your place, you useless reptile!" He shouts, "This objection is beneath you and I will not tolerate it. Now, tell me if you remember, what are the only two things that can prevent you from fulfilling the tasks you are given?" His grip gets tighter, I whine as I feel this, but I push through it with a grunt,

"Victory or death, sir." He let go of me and I sigh in relief.

"Let this be the lesson that you learn from this day, you are our slave and you will remain loyal to the Galra, always and forever. Have I made myself clear?"

"Yes, sir. It won't happen again." I bow my head to him to prove myself.

"Good." He turns to one of the sentries now standing beside him, "Take her to the medical chamber and make sure they have her wound properly taken care of."

As ordered, the sentry escorts me to a smaller room on the ship. I walked the entire way there for like 5 doboshes, it was hard to not make any painful noise as I stepped on my wounded leg, and now it's opened up and I'm bleeding.

While I'm laying on the operation table, the doctors look over my wound as they collect samples of my blood dripping from it, like they always do for some reason, before mending it after a few painful doboshes.

Soon enough, I'm back in a cell, trying to rest through the pain in my leg and my aching back and wings. That test I just did really put me into a lot of work, then again, they all have.

This is how it is for me pretty much every day, they force me to complete training tests and I always get hurt during each of them, also they don't allow me to use my fire breathing even though it would help me be a better fighter to them, and worst of all, no matter how much I try, the Galra don't have any interest in listening to me, I bet they won't even care if I happen to be killed in one of my tests.

Who am I fooling? This is my entire life, no one can be more powerful than the Galra, especially Lord Zarkon. They control everything, that's the only way things get to be for other people, especially me.

But, what if it wasn't always meant to be before the Empire even began? Was there ever anything more to life than just war?

---------------------------------------------------------------

So, you just saw what happens to Kayleigha throughout her life. Hope you stick around to see what might come next.

Enjoy!