Return To The Balmera

After our encounter with the rebels on the desolate moon and getting my new armor, we continue to set course to our first mission, freeing the Balmera from the Galra.

"We'll be arriving at the Balmera soon." Allura says, "Liberating these Balmerans from Zarkon's grasp will not be easy."

"So, what's the plan? We go in there and just-- Pow, pow, pow! --And free the prisoners?" Lance asks, imitating lasers.

"What was that noise?" Keith asks.

"Laser guns."

"No, Lance, I think you mean-- Pow, pow, pow! POW!" Hunk holds his arms out and makes his own laser noises.

"That sounds like fireworks." Lance points out.

"Technically, they're more like-- ba-choo, ba-choo, ba-choo!" Pidge chimes in.

"Okay, enough with the bad sound effects." Shiro says. I can understand why he interrupted their little fun banter. It's not very warrior-like if everyone is constantly--

"...Besides, it's more like-- blam, blam, blam!"

Never mind.

"Seriously?" I ask.

"What?" Keith follows.

"You're crazy." Pidge says.

"No way." Lance retorts.

"Wrong." Hunk adds.

"Paladins, focus!" Allura says, getting us back on track.

"Besides, we can't just shoot at the Galra." Hunk points out, "This Balmera, it's, like, alive. And from what we've seen, it doesn't look very good."

We look at the bio scan of the Balmera on the screen and see its heat signatures. It's not looking very healthy, who knows how much longer it will remain alive and stable.

I've heard of Balmeras during my time in prison, and I've learned that the Galra collected their crystals from these creatures. I've always found it extraordinary that there are living planet-like creatures that create the very resources needed to power ships and machines. But now I know that the Galra have been causing harm to these beasts, despite the benefits they provide for them.

"Yes, it's an atrocity what the Galra have been doing to this grand beast." Coran says, pulling up an image of the damage the Galra have done on the Balmera's surface, "Stealing its Crystals, its very life force, without ever performing the energy rejuvenation ceremonies to heal it."

"After seeing Shay's people enslaved, it made me realize how bad Zarkon really is. And we're the only ones who can stop him." Hunk says sadly.

"Okay, so we can't go into the tunnels guns blazing." Shiro says, "Plan B. We figure out how to draw the Galra up to the surface and battle them out there."

I take the moment to think. The Galra will definitely start attacking when the Lions appear, but we'll need something more to get them to come at us.

I perk up, "Wait a tick. If they're mining for crystals, then the Galra should have mining equipment. If we attack those on the surface, the Galra will have to defend them."

"Yeah, that's right. And when they come up, we beat them up, head down to the tunnels, Voltron saves the day." Hunk finishes.

"But how will we know how many are left down in the tunnels?" Keith asks.

"We can track the Galra and the Balmerans using Biothermal Life Indicator Point Technology." Allura says, creating a holographic image of the technology.