Chapter 4: Pigskins and Proposals

"Smarty, just do it," I shout whispered at John as we walked into Art II together.

"I, I can't, Chilled," he stuttered, holding the abstract art painting in his hands. Today was the day that he was going to ask Marissa out on a date to the football game this Friday. I've spent my first week at this school getting him ready for this moment, and I'll be damned if he backs out of it now. "What if she says no?"

I stared down into his nervous brown eyes. "What if she doesn't?"

He looked down at the picture, then back at me. "You're right. I'm gonna go for it."

"Atta boy, John!" I squealed, pushing him through the door. He went straight to Marissa while I went to my desk a few seats back. I could faintly overhear his conversation with her as I sat there with a smile on my face.

"H-hi, Marissa," he greeted, stuttering. No, John! No stuttering!

"Hey, John. What's up? What'cha got there?"

He swallowed hard and held out the heart. "I have s-something to ask you. Would you... would you like to come to the football game with us this Friday?"

She took the heart and I could see a huge smile cross her lips. Smarty did the same as she gave him her answer. "I'd love to. Is this for me?"

He smiled and nodded, taking pride in his work. "Yep. I hope you like it."

"I love it. Here, let's exchange numbers so we can arrange for Friday." They each pulled out note cards and scribbled their numbers on them for each other. "Okay, see you later, John!"

"See ya." He waved and came to his seat just before the bell rang. He held up the card with a smirk. "Guess who has a date set for Friday."

I clapped. "Congrats, Smarty. See, I told you everything would turn out okay."

"And I didn't want to believe you. But I guess we have something to tell the boys."

[Time skip to lunch]

"You did WHAT?" GaLm shouted, making the people around us jump. John just told the guys about his success with Marissa and they're all pretty... surprised to say the least.

"And she said yes too. So, Tom" - he smirked and turned to face Tom sitting beside him - "it's almost your turn, bud."

Tom swallowed the rest of his spaghetti bite and shook his head lightly. "Okay, but I'm not a big shot artist like you."

"It's okay, we'll help you out."

"Okay, what are you willing to do?"

Then I got an idea. "Hey, she's in my music class fifth period. I can help you out there."

"Really? You'd do that for me?"

I sipped my bottle of water. "No problem. Anything for a friend." I looked across the table and made eye contact with Steven, who was staring at me intently. He smiled and looked back to the main group, trying to hide some pink on his cheeks. Wait, pink? Why were his cheeks getting pink? He doesn't have a... no, he couldn't possibly have a crush on me, could he?

"Anyway, ready to go to the track?" he asked, and we stood up with our trays. I threw the thought aside and made up my mind that I was making things up.

Steven can't possibly be into guys. But then again, why was he so nervous when Smarty made a joke about finding him a girlfriend? And why was he so quick to dismiss finding him one? Maybe he just doesn't want a girlfriend because of a past relationship. And maybe it was just a little warm in the cafeteria today. Yeahhh, that's it. Okay, get it together Anthony. Your crush can't possibly like you back... or maybe? Just focus on talking to Johanna in music and help Tom out with his proposal.