Chapter 17: Can I Stay Alive Forever?

"Are you ready for tonight Chilly??? :D" Steven excitedly texted me right after I woke up this morning. I responded with a simple "yes :)" and began to get ready for school. Today's Friday, but it's a special Friday. Tonight's the night of the talent show that Steven and I are competing in.

And yes, it's going to be a competition, and a tough one. There will be twenty performances, broken up evenly by grades, and then the winners in each grade will be judged against each other for the overall win. The overall winners get a trophy, medals, and a picture on the school wall of fame. The grade winners just get medals, and everyone else gets ribbons. Mr. Joseph, the band director, the chorus teacher, and the dance teacher are all judging it. Mr. Joseph and Officer Dun are even performing together at the beginning to start the show, so that'll be pretty... interesting.

As I got dressed and thought about the show, I felt a knot grow in my stomach. Yes, I can't be more excited to share the spotlight with my amazing boyfriend. But I'm also nervous about being seen in front of the whole school. Imagine it, the new kid from New York comes in and helps sweep the entire talent show. It would make a great underdog story, but I doubt it would ever happen.

I came downstairs for a quick breakfast, and was greeted by Dad and Cielo, who were also excited about tonight.

"Anthony!" she squealed, running up to me for a surprise hug. "Excited about tonight?"

"Yes," I responded, my voice sounded a little strained by her arms wrapped tightly around my neck. "Now, can you let me go?"

She climbed down and I was greeted by the smell of croissants in the kitchen. "Thought you'd like a hot breakfast on a big day."

"Dad, this is nice and all but it's a high school talent show, not my wedding day."

"Well, I'll just make you and Steven croissants that morning too." I blushed and Cielo giggled at Dad already planning mine and Steven's future wedding. I ate a couple of them before I ran back upstairs to finish getting ready. I threw on my over-shirt and grabbed my bag, being the first out to the car.

On the way there, I reflected on the last six months at Granite Hills. In a couple weeks I went from being a complete stranger to having the best friends and the best boyfriend I could ever ask for. In two months we'll have summer vacation, then we all get to come back for senior year. It's a scary thought, but I'm ready to face it head-on.

When we arrived, Cielo and I walked in to see the line-up list in the lobby. A whole crowd of students were standing around it and making bets on who they knew. I found an open spot and pushed my way through, scanning the list for our name.

13. Anthony Mariani and Steven Royale - Bullet for My Valentine, "Forever and Always"

"Oooh, lucky number 13," Cielo chuckled. "Have fun with that!"

"I'm not scared," I retorted. I lied. I'm slightly superstitious but not like that. It's just a number, right? Yeah, not a big deal at all.

"Sure you are, Anthony. Anyway, I'm off to class. See you at 3!" She waved and ran off down the hall, and I quickly returned the wave. I turned around and saw Tom walking with Johanna. They noticed me and I ran to catch up to them.

"Hey there, Anthony," Johanna greeted, patting my shoulder with her free hand while the other was tangled in Tom's. "Ready for tonight?"

I chuckled. "Of course. Little nervous, but I'm excited too." If only I had a dollar for every time I get asked that today...

"Dude, you got this," Tom followed up. "You guys have been practicing for the last month. You can do it!"

"Yeah, and you know we'll be around to cheer you on."