Chapter 28 *FINAL*: That's All We Need to Know (+ message at the end)

June/July 2027

I stopped the car at a red light as soon as we crossed over the Golden Gate Bridge into San Francisco. I looked over to get a glance at Steven, who was staring thoughtfully out of the window. Before the light changed, I snaked my hand over to his, tangling our fingers together.

"What are you thinking about?" I asked.

He smiled and shook his head. "I can't believe the day's almost already here."

I returned the smile, knowing exactly what he was talking about. After five months of prepping and two years of work, the day is finally close: the day we bring home our first child.

The last five months have been spent getting ready for bringing the baby home this month. We shared the news with all of our family and friends, and later learned that we would be adopting a boy. The hardest part was deciding on a name, but when we did we chose to keep it secret until he came home. 

Driving through Fourth of July traffic and the dreaded winding roads, we finally reached our hotel to check in for the evening. Steven got our bags out of the trunk once I found a parking space and we headed into the hotel lobby together. I gave the guy working there my reservation number and he gave us our key. I opened the door and while Steven went straight to the restroom, I collapsed on the bed and closed my eyes, thinking back to how we got here.

(Flashback to February)

I sat at my desk, editing the latest Prop Hunt video with Bryce, Eddie, Minx, and Steven. Down the hall in the kitchen, I heard the familiar clatter of pots and pans as Steven worked on dinner. Well, breakfast for dinner, which is his big specialty.

While we were in college, all five of us in the Derp Crew started working more on our YouTube channels. When I started my channel at 16, it was more of a hobby but I wanted to make more out of it. Once I started putting more effort into it, I began getting more views and fans, and now I've accomplished my goal of making a career out of it. Steven, on the other hand, decided to stick to it as just a hobby. He works for Intel full time and records on the side.

We just celebrated our two year wedding anniversary this past October, and six months into our marriage we made the big decision to adopt. We were the last of our friends to get married, now we're also the last to start a family. Tom and Johanna were first with Alex, then Cielo and Eddie with Anna, Smarty and Marissa with Michael, GaLm and Myla with Sophia, and most recently Tom and Johanna again with Emily.

As I sat silently in my office, the phone started ringing. "I got it!" Steven shouted, and I returned to my editing. I could faintly hear his side of the conversation as I strained to listen.

"Hello?" he started. "Yes, you're speaking to Steven... I'm doing great, thanks..." There was a long pause, followed by a small happy outburst. "Wait, you're serious?... Yes, that's great, thank you so much... Yes, I'll be sure to let him know the good news... We'll be sure to keep in touch, thank you... Okay, you too, goodbye."

When he hung up the phone I heard his footsteps coming closer so I pretended that I didn't hear anything. A minute later he wrapped his arms around my chest and hugged me closely.

"Who was that, babe?" I asked curiously.

"Anthony, I just got some great news." I looked up into his eyes, excited to tell me about his news.

"Let me guess... you're pregnant." I turned around and wrapped my arms around his waist, pulling him close to kiss his belly.

He chuckled and ran his fingers through my hair. "No, but you're close." I lifted my head and pulled back a little bit, keeping my arms in their place. "That was the lady from the adoption agency. We have a match."