Chapter 25: The Road Ahead

June 2017

Steven pulled his car into the parking lot and Smarty jumped out as soon as he stopped. Out of excitement, he tripped over the door threshold and almost landed face first on the pavement, but caught himself with his hands and kept running.

"THE LAST DAY!" he shouted, throwing his fists in the air. Everyone else going into the school turned and stared. But our excited little friend kept dancing in place while we caught up to him.

"Calm down, Smarty," Tom laughed. "It's not really the last day you know. We have to actually graduate."

Steven locked up his car and we all headed to the school together, our last time doing so. Tomorrow we graduate from Granite Hills High and get ready to start our lives in college. Since this is our last day as students, we all chose to ride together.

I don't know why they had us come to school today. We're getting out at 1 and we're not going to our classes. Instead they want us to sign a sheet saying that we came anyway. Since we have nothing else to do, library it is, I guess.

Once we sign the sheet at the office we all head to the library, meeting up with the girlfriends there. We sat down and opened our bags to pull out all the snacks we brought. GaLm had Capri suns, Tom had the chips, Steven had gummi bears, Smarty had some sandwiches, and I brought some cookies.

"Wow, guys," Johanna joked, sipping her Capri sun. "Ready for a feast, huh?"

GaLm nodded. "You know it!" Tom turned on Netflix on his laptop and, after some heated debate, we picked some scary found footage movie. I hate scary movies, but I put on a brave face and rolled along with it.

We buried ourselves in a corner of the library to make watching the movie better. Steven wrapped his arm around me and I buried my head in his chest, grabbing a handful of his shirt.

He chuckled and I heard the low hum in his chest. "Don't worry, Anthony, no one's coming to get you."

"A-are you sure?"

"Well, if they do they'd have to get through me."

We leaned in and kissed, then Smarty made a gagging noise. "C'mon, guys. You can make out later. The movie just started." We stopped and turned to the movie, but it didn't make it any better. I kept my place under his arm while he rubbed his thumb up and down to relax me. I don't remember much of the actual movie, after falling asleep ten minutes into it.

Next thing I knew, I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Hey, Chilled." It was Tom. "Grad practice is about to start, we should head outside." I sat up so Steven could get up too. Me being on his stomach for almost two hours really made him go numb, and the two of us had to help him stand up.

"Where's everyone else?" I asked, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

"Already outside. You were out for most of the movie."

I nodded. "Good to know." The three of us joined the mass of seniors also going outside to the football field where graduation will be tomorrow. 

Once we got out there, Mr. Joseph was standing there on top of the band's conductor stand with a megaphone. "Okay, guys, we'll wait for a few more minutes then we can get started. If your last name starts with the letter A, go on ahead and start lining up over here." A group of people moved to where he pointed as we found our group.

"Okay, how's this going again?" I asked, in reference to us lining up.

"Me," Tom pointed to himself, "then Marissa, Chilled, Myla, Ze, GaLm, Johanna, and Smarty at the end... Sorry about that, Smarty."