Chapter 21: Better Days

(A/N: For the next five or six chapters [right now I'm guessing six] the plot will be pretty much sped up towards the end - so basically a few months or so between parts. At the beginning of each chapter or part, there will be a time that indicates when the part takes place.)

March 2016

I stared out the window of Dad's car, watching my surroundings go by in a blur. Some classic rock song faintly played on the radio and I zoned out trying to pay attention to it. All of it looked so strange after getting used to being in the hospital for the last week. I spent the first half of it in a coma, but I'm glad I didn't have to spend it all alone. The cast on my broken leg began to itch and made me uncomfortable. I can't wait to get it off in two months.

I was silent, but at the same time I was horribly nervous. Across the seat from me, in the middle of my moment, I felt another hand snake into mine and stopped it from shaking. I looked over to see Steven staring at me intently. "Are you feeling okay, Anthony?" he asked, a familiar twinkle in his eyes.

I nodded slowly. "Yeah, I guess." To be honest, I was a little jittery being in a car again. Something kept telling me that there was going to be another accident, and this time it would be the end. I sighed and leaned back, giving him a reassuring smile. "I'm glad to be coming home."

"We're glad too," he responded, earning nods from Dad and Cielo in the front. My release time was right after school got out, so when he picked her up from school Steven decided to come along. The guys are coming over later so we can have the sleepover that we had scheduled for last week. "But there's something else. You look so scared, why?"

I choked up, not sure what to tell him. "I'm a little nervous about being here right now."

"I know you're still shaken and all, but don't worry. We're almost home."

Home. This is my first time seeing home in a week. Being away from it really made me miss it, and when I thought that I'd never see it again it didn't help at all. I can't wait to be back in my own room to get some rest.

A couple minutes later we pulled into the driveway. "Welcome home, Anthony," Dad greeted as he put it in park. While I collected my stuff in the back seat, Steven jumped out and ran to my side. He opened the door for me and grabbed my hands, trying to help me out.

"Stevie," I whined. "You don't have to wait on me hand and foot, you know?"

"I know, I just wanna make sure my love's taken care of." I stood up slowly and leaned against him for support while I fixed my crutches. When I gained my balance, I wrapped my arm around him and pulled him in for a kiss. Of course, like always... Cielo.

"I know what you're gonna say," I started.

"Actually," she shook her head. "This is your first time home in a while... Carry on."

She followed Dad inside and left me and Steven alone. "Hm," I hummed, taking his hand in mine. "That's a first." I kissed him a couple more times, then she came back out a minute later.

"Hey, are you two gonna make out here or are you gonna come inside and see what's waiting?"

"I wouldn't mind a little session," I heard Steven mumble as he followed me inside, offering to carry my stuff. I tried to hide my blush and pretend that I didn't hear what he said. I followed Cielo inside to see almost a dozen gifts and roses, as well as a clear box full of sticky notes.

My jaw dropped and I tightened my grip on Steven's hand, but loosened it when I heard him yelp. "W-where did a-all this come from?" I asked, stuttering.

"I know one of these came from Mr. Joseph and his wife, then most of these are from your friends' parents, and a couple are from our neighbors. And these are all the sticky notes that everyone wrote to you this week."