Chapter 3 - Unnecessary Distance

A/N:
(Y/N): Your Name
(N/N): Nickname

We gettin to the angst 😈😈

Me and (Y/N) have been meeting everyday for 2 straight months now. Needless to say, we've become really good friends. (Y/N) had met Ruddiger, and eventually, my father. (They got along surprisingly well!) And the more we meet, the more I notice a pattern.

In the fall, we start having earlier nights, meaning (Y/N) can stay over long enough to see the night sky. And whenever you can see a bit of moonlight stream through a window, you'll bet (Y/N) will be there aswell. Luckily, I do know the reason behind this.

When we first met, we talked about our dreams. (Y/N) had pointed out that they dreamed of seeing the stars, to become an astronomer. This is why I always see them staring into space lovingly.

The more I heard them talk and ramble on about it, the more I also wanted to learn about the stars, space, the moon, planets, the solar system, the galaxy, the-- you get the point. So I decided to go to my local bookstore and borrow some astronomy books! And yes, I could've asked (Y/N) about space, and what they knew, but I wanted to do something to make them happ-- ahem.. wanted to put some effort in for a good cause.

"You have too many overdue books, kid. Sorry."

"Wha-? But that was only three!"

"Yeah, and the limit on overdue books is two."

I simply sighed, and walked over to the nonfiction section. It's not like I could clear my name, those overdue chemistry books were long gone. I think. Well, instead I'd just have to read the books here--which shouldn't be too much of a burden..

(Y/N)'S POV

"Where's Varian?" I asked Quirin.

"I think he went somewhere to the town square. To buy something, I assume."

At the time, I didn't question it, and simply went home. It's not often that I go a day without visiting Varian, but I thought that perhaps he just needed to get something for one of his projects, so I didn't worry too much.

Though, it did start getting concerning after not seeing him for a week. And the week after. Then, the next week. When I was still trying to visit him, Quirin had said he couldn't see me at the moment.

My heart sunk. Was it something I did? Something I said? Did I do something to hurt him? Upset him?

This thought bore me the rest of my night, I had barely gotten any sleep. Perhaps he just.. needed some time off? Yeah, maybe that was it..

And yet the next day, Varian claimed he still needed space. And the day after that. And the day after that. And then the week after that.

I don't think he likes me anymore.

Wow.

Great job, (Y/N).

First friend--managed to lose him in the first month.

Great.. job...

Meanwhile, with Varian..

"Ugh, nothing's working! I've read every book, seen every discovery, memorized every glass material, why isn't this working?!" I yelled in frustration.

I slumped over my desk, and looked at Ruddiger, my face 2 inches away from his. "How would you make a telescope, Ruddiger?"

He simply shrugged and ran off somewhere else. I sighed, looking over at all my other scrapped telescopes, and the one I was currently working on.

"Will I ever make this in time?" I asked myself. I wasn't so sure. I wasn't so sure about anything. "I bet (Y/N) would know how to do this."

But it's not like I could just reach out to them and ask how to make a telescope. I wanted to make this meaningful, it would have to come from me.

I sat in my chair, playing with my goggles, thinking about nothing in particular. I was completely drained--I didn't want to give up, but it felt like a weight would be lifted off my shoulders if I did.

Suddenly, I felt a huge weight on my shoulders. How ironic.

Ruddiger ran down my arm from my shoulders and to the goggles I was fiddiling with.

"Huh? Wh..What is it, buddy?"

Ruddiger started scratching at my goggles lens.

"H-Hey! Excuse you! Those are very delicate! What are yo--"

As I pushed Ruddiger down from my lap, I noticed something in my now-scratched up goggles. I tried them on for a moment.. and then took them off. It felt like there was a visual lightbulb above my head that just went off.

"That's it!" I exclaimed. "The telescope needs rounded lenses and a zoom feature! Ruddiger, you genius!"

I rewarded Ruddiger with a couple apples and immediately got to work. That night, I tested it out on the moon. The moon filled the entire lens, I was able to examine and study so many features of it!

This is it. This is the telescope.

(Y/N) POV

"Hey, (N/N), you got mail." Cass said, and tossed an envelope onto my bed.

'From Varian'...

Oh no.

"So, who's this Varian guy?" Cass questioned.

"He's.. a friend.. works with.. alchemy."

"Hey, you alright, (N/N)? ...Sister's intuition, I know something's wrong."

"Yeah I'm fine.. It's just--well, no I'm not fine. Varian hasn't reached out to me in months--I thought he just ghosted me, but now he sent me a letter saying to meet him? When all these other days he's been 'busy'?"

"Well, maybe you should meet him. Maybe he'll have an explanation for his disappearance?"

"Yeah, and it better be a good one." I mumbled. I know it seemed rude at the time, but I was genuinely worried for him. All that time I was genuinely worried for him--for his safety, mentally and physically. I think Cassie might've been a bit worried at the time too, for me. I have been distancing myself from her and my father, since I had felt betrayed by Varian.

But now, this letter gives me some hope. For him.