Chapter 9 - Secret of the Sun Drop

"...(Y/N)..? Where were--"

"Cass-! I.."

I quickly brushed aside the new tears that were forming.

"I...I need to see Rapunzel."

Cass didn't ask questions. She could tell it was urgent. Worry was evident in her eyes, but she silently obeyed and directed me to Rapunzel's room.

"..Rapunzel. We need to talk.."

"...(Y/N)..? (Y/N)-! Me and Cass were so worried--where were you-?!"

Rapunzel brought me into a tight embrace. I didn't move.

"I went to help Varian. He..."

"..He..."

..

..

I began choking up again. It was hard to think about... him..

Rapunzel noticed something had happened. She gave me another soft, empathetic hug--that I leaned into this time. It didn't matter how mad I was at her.  Rapunzel was too kind, after all.

"..Hey, it's alright... what happened..?"

"He.. No, I--.. It's not about that.. Rapunzel, he... Varian is planning something."

"..(Y/N), what do you--"

"He's not... right. When I went to help him--he wasn't himself. I'm... princess, I'm afraid."

"..What did he say...?"

"I think he wants to.. no.. he's not afraid to hurt you to get what he wants. He was saying things like how he doesn't care what he does and--doesn't care.. for me.."

"..So... what do you say we do..-?"

"Rapunzel.. You're the princess. This is your kingdom. You decide what to do."

I turned and walked out of the room abruptly. I didn't want to be rude, but I was right. It was her problem.. It's not like I could provide any help to... 'stop' him. I.. didn't want to, anyways. I didn't want to hurt him.. but I couldn't say he wasn't going to hurt me.

The sun was glaring in my eyes, annoyingly as ever. I found that Cassandra wasn't here this morning--not in the room with me. I assumed she had duties of setting up for Rapunzel's birthday--today. I thought about stopping by to see her, I didn't want to seem uncompassionate.

It's just that..

..It was hard.

It was hard to get out of bed--everyday. Part of me just wanted to stay in bed--sleep and let the world take its form. I felt.. hopeless. He made me feel hopeless.

But I needed to get up. Whether it was hard, easy, or one of my biggest challenges--I had to get up. Just this once. I needed to be there for everyone--for Cass. I had to.

Apparently it was Rapunzel's birthday today. Sum it up to isolating myself for a week. Two weeks..?

I ended up coming across Rapunzel at the festival--who seemed a bit worried. I tapped her on the shoulder.

"Ah-! (Y/N)! It's, uh... been a while, hasn't it..?"

I simply nodded.

"..Right. Say, have you seen Cass..-? I can't seem to find her.."