Chapter 7 - Help

(Queen For a Day)

A/N: Pay attention to the word 'help'

It appears often.

'To (Y/N)'

"Huh.."

I opened the mysterious letter.

...

"Who's that from-?"

"Varian." I replied to Cassie. "He says he needs help.. with something."

I glanced at Cass.

"Well, I won't stop you from going. It's not like you don't spend 12 out of 24 hours of your day with him--plus you keep that purple necklace on while sleeping, so.."

I grinned in amusement. "Ha-! Ye-Yeah.. I guess so.."

I started thinking about something, staring off into the distance..

"...You really do like him, don't you-?"

...

...

I looked up at Cass, perched on her bed, who had a teasing smirk on her face.

...

..Wait.

"Cass-!!"

She simply chuckled in response.

"It's not like that, Cassie, he's just a friend. Besides, that would be weird. I barely know him-!"

"'You barely know him..?' You've been 'friends' with him for a year and a half--maybe even two!"

"Yeah--and that's only like--1/7 of my life."

"Oh well, you beat me, now go be a nerd somewhere else."

...

"..Hey-!"

*knock*

...

*knock*

...

"..Hellooo? Varia--"

The door opened. Finally.

"(Y--Y/N)-! Hi..! Thanks for coming-!"

"Yeah, no problem... Varian, what did you need help with..-?"

"...Right. Here, just, uh--follow me..."

Varian led me into his lab, which in the center of it, had something huge covered under a rustic sheet. He didn't give me time to ponder it, before removing the sheet to reveal a huge black rock in the center of the lab.

"Varian-! This is--"

"Yeah. I know.. it's getting worse..."

"But, uh--on the bright side-! This gives me a direct source of experimenting! My dad never let me go near these things to study them, but now I have one in the center of my lab! I've only been able to study them for a couple hours.. But--But I found out these things are unbreakable! Yet, I still haven't entirely figured out what they're made of yet..."

I inspected the rocks closely. They seemed to have some sort of blue lines engraved inside them..

"Have you been able to experiment with them yet..-?"

"No, I only wanted to study them until you got here! So we can--uh.. you can help me experiment.. Ma-Maybe..?"

"I..I'd love to, Varian-! But I uh--don't know any alchemy... I only know engineering, and--"