Chapter 11 - Day of the Animals

A/N: this was supposed to be tooth rotting fluff but i somehow managed to squeeze in some angst wth is wrong with me😭

"Don't you have enough people you're going with..? Why are you dragging me along-?"

"Ohhh, you knoww.. no reason, reallyy.."

.

.

.

"..That's really suspicious, Raps."

Rapunzel simply stood, arms behind her back with a mischievous grin plastered on her face.

"Seriously, why are you bringing me? You know I have work to do toda--"

"Varian's coming along."

"...Rapunzel, stop it."

.

.

"Stop looking at me like that."

.

.

"Raps, I'm being serious, stop."

..

"...I should have never told you.."

I started packing up a small backpack.

"Oh, so you're coming? Great-! I'll be sure to tell Varia--"

"Rapunzel, I'm going to kick you out of my room if you don't stop teasing me in a way that makes you look like a child."

..That seemed to draw her away.

Y'know, I always thought Raps knew, it's just that when I actually started talking about him more often, she started teasing me about it more often.

Sometimes, she reminded me of Cass..

.

.

.

I thought about what Rapunzel said to me earlier. About, uh...

Varian.

..

..I immediately shook the thoughts out of my head.

'Jeez, (Y/N), you too-? And here I thought I could at least trust myself..'

.

.

'He's.. He's just a friend.'

'That's all he'll ever be.'

*Crash!!*

"Ack--!" I yelped, seeing Pascal and.. that one brain-damaged crow, crash landing onto the bags of jewelry.

"Hey-! Careful, you two!" Rapunzel took Pascal into her hands and up to her shoulder.

Angry sighed in relief. "Once we deliver this last batch of jewels to their owners, we'll have official put our thieving days behind us.."

"Aha-! Oh, I can't wait to get my hands on a copper-plated alembic from the Neserdnian market!" Varian giggled, "Do you have any idea how many poly-alchemical substration tests I'll be able to run-?"

"...Anyone wanna switch seats with me?" Angry remarked.

Rapunzel gladly took the seat next to Varian. I mean, I would've liked to sit with him--..but it's not like I'd hold a grudge against Raps for something that small. Rapunzel hummed slightly.