Kapitulo 13

"It's really not my thing,"

For the nth time today, I refused our batch representative when she asked me to join the pageant. There was going to be a pageant for the whole college community. For every batch, may dalawang babae at lalaki na sasali.

"But you already have the intellect and looks! Perfect combination 'yan to join! Plus, you're... famous na kaya! Malakas hatak mo!"

Kauumpisa pa lang ng February at heto na, nakikilala na ako ng mga tao dahil sa litrato namin ni River. May ilang taong kumakausap sa akin bigla kapag naglalakad ako o kapag nakaupo kami ni Alexis at kumakain. There was even a guy who asked for a photo. I declined. I didn't understand why he wanted a photo of me anyway, we weren't friends or block mates.

"Anjel," I stopped writing on my iPad and glanced at her. Nasa likod niya ang general secretary ng student council, nakahanda ang papel at panulat para kung sakaling usmang-ayon ako, agad niyang maililista ang pangalan ko.

"Can't you see that we want you to join because we believe in you?"

I put down my pencil and drank from my Zagu.

"Rep, I'm not cut out for pageants. I've never even joined one before, I don't know what to do and how to act in things like that."

"Kaya nga tuturuan ka namin! Mayroong senior na willing mag-train. She's joined some pageants and camps before, she'll be your mentor!"

Umiling ako muli. "I can help you with anything else, just not that. I'm sorry, but it's not something I like."

She looked disheartened as she turned away from me. I stood up and planned to walk to the warp zone since I had to buy something in the bookstore in Yuchengco Hall. Holding my drink and trying to finish it before I enter the bookstore, my cheeks blow as I swallow it. Nung makasalubong ko si Quentin at Apollo, napakaway ako.

"Hey, where are you off to?" si Quentin. "Bookstore,"

"We heard you'll join the pageant. Good luck," ani Apollo habang nakangiti. "What? No, I declined." I said before throwing my cup that was once filled with a mango shake.

"Oh? I thought you would, you already look the part, so..." Quentin told me before glancing at his teammate. "Well, then, see you." Dagdag niya.

I hadn't even said yes, yet some people already thought I was competing in the pageant? Sino ba ang nagpapakalat no'n?

"Anjel, hey!" habang pumipili ng ballpen, I heard someone call me from behind. Pagtingin ko'y nakita ko si Daniel.

"Hi!" kumaway ako. I ended up getting the gel pen I initially tried before looking at Daniel. "How've you been? 'Di tayo classmates sa kahit anong subject this sem..." he came closer.

"Yeah, umm, I'm good. Busy with org and acads, ikaw?" I smiled at him, and I noticed his ears turning red. "Also busy with school. Ang tagal na nung huli nating pag-uusap. Nilalayo ka kasi sa akin ni Alexis, e,"

I chuckled. It was a joke. Every time Daniel was near, Alexis would sort of 'protect' me from him. She wouldn't let him near me before she teased him to the max.

"She's makulit talaga,"

"That's why I never got to ask you out, and I'm taking this open and free chance. Can I have your number? And... are you free on Friday? For a date?"

My smile slowly fell when I saw him eagerly take his phone from his pocket.

"Daniel, sorry, but I'm already dating someone right now."

His fingers stopped moving on his screen before he spoke.

"Is it true that... it's you and that basketball player?"