Kapitulo 25

"It isn't about science, Mom." Mabagal kong sagot sa ina habang tinitignan si Daddy.

Bumuti na ang lagay niya simula nung madala sa ospital, thankfully. Ang alam ko, dumalas na rin ang checkups nila ni Mommy. My mother had always been afraid of death, I didn't know why. Most people I knew are cared but not as terrified as she is.

"Oh, then what? Business ba? AI? Politics? What?"

I gulped the nonexistent water in my throat and answered.

"Farmers, Mommy. It's about farmers,"

Daddy was now sitting beside Mommy as my mother tried to process my answer.

"Farmers... You built machinery for better farming, is, is that it?"

"No po, it's... centered around the predicaments that farmers face and faced. It's a social organization, Mommy."

A prelude of sighs occurred before Mommy stood.

"I thought you already learned," she began. "Do you really think that type of organization can help you grow professionally and academically, huh?"

"I want to help-"

"And, you? What's in it for you?"

"Nothing, Mom. Ginusto ko pong sumali ng walang kapalit dahil-"

"Again and again, you keep on wasting your time on things that are useless and irrelevant. Kailan ka ba matututo sa amin ng Daddy mo?"

I'll brave this out. I need to. For them to see that I won't let them carelessly take control anymore. I wasn't a robot they could eternally lord over.

"It isn't useless and irrelevant, Mom. It's the complete opposite, I joined because I wanted to do something for people who can't fight for themselves."

"Will this help you? Will being such a noble girl help you, really?"

"Yes. It will,"

"Give me a tangible and nontangible impact you'll get from this that can help you. Don't give me saint traits, give me something practical because being a saint doesn't equate to success in life."

I didn't reply because I knew she'd overpower me anyway.

It is so hard to get a point through a person who doesn't have an inch of humility in their system.

Ngumisi ang ina ko at hinilamos ang mukha gamit ang mga kamay. Daddy stood up and walked towards me. Inihahanda ko ang sarili ko para sa posibleng sampal na matatamo ko. Inihahanda ko ang sarili kong madurog na naman dahil doon patungo ang lahat ng 'to. Pain was always the outcome when it came to arguments with my parents. No other path, sadly.

"You're still seen with that basketball player. Mayroon pang article na lumabas na may kasama kayong isang pang player at Lasallian sa isang mall."

My father's face was portraying the emotion he felt—contempt. The electric fan that was producing cold air in the room never helped the heat between us three. Parang kaunti na lang talaga, sasampalin na ako ni Mommy. Mararamdaman ko na naman ang mainit niyang palad.

Sometimes, I think I hate them.

But you don't really care for the person you hate, right? You'd wish them the worst of the worst. And, I care for them despite of the cruelty they've shown me.

"Hindi ka sumunod sa amin, ilang beses ka na namin pinagbawalan." Mariin na sambit ni Daddy bago kunin ang aking braso ng marahas.

Tugma ang akto niya at pakikipag-usap.

This was a barbaric act—physically hurting someone—it was only done by someone who lacked self-control and rationality. But Daddy was intelligent. Even if I've heard some of his colleagues insulting him, he rarely fought back.