Kapitulo 24

"Tita," ang tanging sinabi ni River nang pumasok ang stepmother and brother niya sa unit. "No hug man lang, Alexandre?"

River left me and embraced her stepmother for a few seconds before his brother walked towards me. "Ma, this is kuya River's girlfriend. She was the one to who I gave food before because Kuya asked me to."

I felt embarrassed for being introduced like that. Good thing River spoke.

"Daldal mo talaga. Tita, this is Anjel, Anjel Delo Santos." River pulled me as I began to smile for his stepmother.

"Good evening, Ma'am." I politely greeted the woman and she gave me a smile too. "Good evening. Sorry, I didn't know Alexandre had someone over."

I didn't know what to reply to that, I just let River and her mingle for a bit as I sat on the couch. Nang tumunog ang doorbell, I was sure that 'yon na 'yong food. Ako na ang nagbukas ng pinto. The delivery guy looked at me and, I don't know if my voice was low, but he didn't immediately answer me when I asked how much the total bill was.

"Ah... 463 po lahat, Ma'am..." mabagal na wika niya. I took the paper bag from him before I turned to River.

"It's 463 raw," I told him. He took his wallet from the coffee table and handed me a 500-peso bill. Ako na ang nabigay ng bayad sa delivery guy.

"Ito po... Ma'am..." inabot sa akin ang sukli at sandali pa akong tinitigan ng delivery guy. "Thank you," sabi ko.

"O...opo... Ang ganda niyo po, good night po," before I could reply, he walked away.

I walked back into the unit and gave River the change. He was still talking with his stepmother as I set up our food. The food was only for two people... Anong kakainin nina Maeve at Mama niya? O-order na lang ako, I can pay online naman.

"Mauuna na kami, Anjel." As I was scrolling on Grab which food sana ang ipapa-deliver ay kinausap ako ng stepmother ni River.

"Ohh, sige po... Ingat po kayo," she smiled at me before calling Maeve to go with her.

"I'm starving," ani River matapos isara ang pinto nang lumabas sina Maeve at Tita.

River was fine. He seemed okay. But I knew he didn't probably have the best relationship with his family because of everything that had happened between him and them. I knew he'd be distant from his family because of his father.

When his stepmother asked for a hug, River's facial expression showed reluctance. Habang kausap niya ang babae, tila ayaw niyang... lumapit, akala mo ay mapapaso. He's keeping a stagnant space. But his stepmother was sweet, she'd caress River's shoulder sometimes or lean in and smile while speaking.

Maeve was busy using his phone. He didn't talk to his older brother the whole time he stayed. I wonder if River was like that all the time while Maeve and he were growing up, seemingly mean.

"End the fucking sem, I'm so tired," Alexis demanded when she saw me in the Amphi when Monday came. "It just started, Alex."

"E, I'm tired na! Nagbigay na agad ng deadlines 'yong Sociology prof natin ng final paper, e, he hasn't even taught us anything besides his fucking name!"

"May instructions na rin for an Anthro paper sa email natin, kaka-post lang a while ago." Sabi ko bago uminom ng nabili kong coffee near school.

"Fuck!" Alexis cursed. Some students gave us glances because of the loudness of her voice. I shushed her, she faked a cry.

"Why don't you try making a to-do list? So that you won't forget anything. Try to create a schedule too, para 'di ka na mag-cram."

"Ha! Even if you convince me, my angel of a friend, I will never give in! The cramming life shall prevail!"