15 | Juncti

Chapter 15: Juncti

"While it is not uncommon for magical creatures to form familiar bonds with their wizards, in extremely rare cases, witches or wizards who receive a creature inheritance will form a powerful bond, like that of a familiar, to a specific witch or wizard. This bond, called a juncti, is believed to occur when the creature inheritance becomes united with magic it recognizes as its own. With only four documented cases of this phenomenon in history, there is still doubt within the magical community about the existence of such magic.

"In all recorded cases of juncti, the bonded pair report unusual magical capabilities, including contact-induced telepathy and the ability to unite their magics to perform otherwise impossible spells. Another trend that appears to be universal in juncti, is that the witch or wizard with the creature inheritance reports an overwhelming sense of protectiveness and an unquestionable devotion to their respective witch or wizardtermed a junctus. Due to the intensity of the bond between these pairs, romantic relationships usually develop, although there is no discernible indication that romance is required."

Harry felt a pit drop in his stomach as he read the short passage that Draco had bookmarked. Suddenly, everything that Harry had been confused about had an eerily fitting explanation. An explanation which terrified him.

///

Draco's chest was tight with anxiety. He knew Harry would eventually find the book that he had tucked under his pillow, but he didn't know when. He also didn't know how Harry would handle the information in the passage— particularly the last sentence— but he knew it was information he had to share with the former Gryffindor.

Draco had recalled seeing something about juncti in one of the books in his father's library, though he hadn't recalled the details. He'd had an inkling that something strange was going on when he and Harry discovered their telepathic link, but it wasn't until he noticed the pattern of Harry's odd behaviours that he made the connection of what could be going on. The blonde recalled Harry reacting oddly when Weasley made rude (although, probably justified) comments towards him during the Venomous Tentacula lesson in Herbology. He remembered overhearing Granger and Weasley say his name in a conversation to Harry in the Great Hall before the Quidditch match, after which, he was royally pissed off. He also noticed how quickly Harry got to the Hospital Wing when he got injured during the match. After reading the book he found in the library, he had little doubt that his intuition was correct.

Filled with restless energy, Draco decided to go for a walk around the grounds before dinner. Normally, he would've practiced his flying for Quidditch, but seeing as he'd just taken a rather hefty fall off of his broom, he figured he should keep his feet planted for a while.

///

Harry's mind was racing with the new information he had learned. I'm bonded to Draco??? What did that mean?? That's why I kept getting angry when Ron made fun of him? And when he got hurt in Quidditch?? That's why we can hear each other's thoughts? And is THAT why I suddenly can't keep my thoughts (or eyes) off of Malfoy??? Harry refused to even let himself think too hard about the last line of the passage. ROMANCE?? WITH MALFOY? He couldn't bear to think of it for more than a moment, cursing the way it made his heart flutter.

Harry paced anxiously around the dormitory. How am I supposed to talk— hell, even look at Draco now? How long did he know about the juncti? He was the one who found the passage, that means he knows what it says... Harry's heart sunk. He read the last sentence, surely... He took a deep breath to calm himself. It's not required. It's not required. It's not required. It won't happen because neither of us want it to happen... Right?

Abandoning the idea of finishing his Transfiguration essay, Harry grabbed his Firebolt and headed to the Quidditch pitch to clear his head before dinner. Harry had to clear his head a lot lately.

The raven-haired boy was walking behind the Quidditch stands with his head down, still absorbed in his own thoughts, when he bumped into somebody with a grunt.

"Sorry," Harry apologized hurriedly, before looking up. As his gaze shifted upwards, his heart skipped a beat. He could recognize those pristine robes and that subtle, yet characteristic fragrance anywhere. Draco's steely grey eyes cautiously met his own, his pale expression carefully neutral.

"My bad, I wasn't looking where I was going," the blonde replied, eyes lingering on Harry's.

"Distracted?" Harry queried.

"Maybe."

"Because of me?" Harry glanced up at Draco expectantly, heart suddenly pounding in his chest.

Draco looked between Harry's rich, green eyes, desperately trying to analyze what the former Gryffindor was thinking. He unconsciously moved closer, lips parting slightly as he failed to form a response. Has Harry always had such pretty eyes?

Harry couldn't handle the intensity of Draco's gaze, eyes instead landing on his soft, pink lips. He wanted to trace them with his finger, just to see how they felt. Harry felt his breathing hitch as the blonde shifted closer. He looked back up to find Draco's eyes trained on his mouth. Harry gently licked his lips.

Draco's eyes flicked up to meet Harry's. They held eye contact for a hesitant moment before the blonde stepped closer, eyelids fluttering closed, and gently closed the space between their lips. Harry leaned into the caress of Draco's kiss, heart throbbing, craving the gentle sensation and the warmth of the contact. Draco delicately placed a hand on Harry's cheek, thumb stroking the curve of his jaw.

Foreheads touching, Draco pulled his lips away gently. Harry's eyelids fluttered open. Draco's eyes had darkened, his pupils dilated, creating a stunning contrast against his pale complexion. The blonde searched Harry's eyes for an indication of his reaction.

Harry pulled away suddenly, eyes widening in panic as he realized what had just happened. "I-I'm sorry, I have to go," he rushed, stalking off in the direction of the castle.

///

Author's Note:

Hey look, another upload !!

How are we liking the new content so far?? We finally got our first kiss in chapter 15!

Alsooooo, I'd love to get input on whether or not this story should contain smut or whether we should keep it fairly PG-13. I can see appeal for both options, but ultimately I'd like to know what y'all wanna see 👀

Stay devious😈