6 | Sleepless

Chapter Six: Sleepless

Harry lay awake in his bed in the Slytherin dormitory. He had been restless the whole night, and he couldn't fall asleep. He knew he should be tired, but sleep would not come to him tonight.

And suddenly, Harry got an idea. Since he wasn't going to sleep anytime soon, why not practice his inheritance powers some more? So, after listening carefully to hear the snores of four separate boys, Harry quietly stood from his bed, and opened his trunk. He pulled out his father's Invisibility Cloak, and grabbed his wand from his bedside table.

Glancing around once again, Harry slipped out of the room, unaware of the curious grey eyes that followed his movements. Once Harry reached the common room, he pulled on his cloak, and stepped out into the poorly lit corridors of the dungeons.

Harry was going to the Room of Requirement, as it was the only safe place he could think of to practice safely. Once Harry had reached the familiar blank wall, he walked past it three times, repeating the phrase: 'I need a big room where I can fly and make lots of noise' in his head each time he walked past.

When the doors appeared, Harry reached out to grab the handle, pulling them open, where he was greeted with a massive space. It was like a giant field, there were trees at one end, a lake at the other, and open skies all above. It would be perfect.

Harry shed his cloak and left his wand with it, and after thinking for a couple of seconds, he took off his clothes too. He wasn't actually sure if they would rip when he transformed, or whether they would just appear back on his body when he shifted back down again, but he figured, better safe than sorry. He wouldn't want to wander the corridors naked, even if he did have the Invisibility Cloak.

Harry was excited. He hadn't had the chance to do this yet, and he wanted to see what he could do. So, Harry focused on shifting his body, so that he could become a dragon. He felt himself growing, his nails becoming claws, his head and neck shifting positions, he felt the wings erupt from his back, and the tail growing out of the base of his spine. He felt his scales cover his entire body, forming his sleek black armour. His eyes flashed green, and he knew the transformation was complete.

Harry tentatively stretched his wings. It was a new sensation, but it came pretty naturally to him. He flapped them up and down, testing their strength. They were strong, but Harry would have to train himself to fly, before he was comfortable letting his wings support him.

On a whim, Harry moved his tail. It was really fun, so he did it again, and again. And again. Until he was just flopping the appendage around like an idiot.

Stop. You have serious work to do, Harold. He berated himself. Harry walked around on his four legs, testing this body out. He quite enjoyed it. He felt very powerful, and very strong. Normally, Harry was fairly thin and scrawny, but now he was just a sexy rippling beast of magicalness.

Harry wanted to try flying, at least for a little while. So, he took a couple of bounds forwards, then jumped and flapped his wings, successfully catching the air and pushing himself upwards. He flapped again, and again, until he was a significant distance above the ground, where he just spread his wings, and glided.

He made lazy circles in the open air, and then moved to dive at the ground. As he was plummeting down, he opened his wings again, and pulled out just in time, taking flight once more.

Harry had always loved flying on his broomstick, but this? Harry loved this even more. It was the most liberating feeling he had ever experienced; it was amazing. He had total control over everything, and he felt so free.

Harry touched back down to the ground, not wanting to completely tire himself out. He glanced over towards the trees, and got an idea. I can try to breathe fire! Harry thought excitedly.

Running over to the trees, Harry took in a huge breath, before exhaling harshly with his mouth open. The mass of flames that erupted from inside of him was astonishing, and he saw the entire line of trees burn to a crisp, mere seconds after catching fire.

Now that was sick. Harry thought. He was so happy right now. Harry decided that he was right in his decision to keep his inheritance a secret, because he never wanted anybody to take this away from him.

The raven-haired boy decided to call it a night, as he was now sufficiently exhausted, and he wanted to get some sleep before classes. So Harry shifted himself back down to normal human size, and put his clothes back on. He tucked his wand into his pocket and threw the Invisibility Cloak back on.

Harry wound his way through the the corridors until he was back in the dungeons, and he quietly slipped back into his dorm and fell asleep almost instantly.

Draco Malfoy, who had always been a light sleeper, watched in fascination as the other boy fell easily into sleep. The blonde boy not missing the glowing green eyes that had been open for barely a minute in the room.

Something about Harry Potter was definitely very strange, and Draco Malfoy wanted to know what it was. But how to find out...

///

Author's Note:

Hehe okay I've been updating like crazy, I hope you don't mind. I'll probably be pretty busy this week, so I might not get another chapter up for about 5 days, but I hope that's okay.

I've been in a great mood lately, I think that's why I keep updating so much. Anywho, see you next chapter :* mwah