7 | Venomous Tentacula

Chapter Seven: Venomous Tentacula

Despite the instinct that told Draco not to wake Potter up again, the blonde often didn't listen to his instincts when it came to Harry Potter. And besides, Crabbe, Goyle, and Blaise were already in the showers, or on their way to breakfast, what harm could it do... So, Draco padded lightly over to where his 'enemy' was still sleeping soundly, and shook the Golden Boy awake.

"Thirty-five minutes today, Potter," Draco spoke, after he was sure the raven-haired boy was conscious. He hesitated a brief second too long, before he spun on his heel and left the dormitory.

Harry rubbed his eyes groggily, and once again wondered why Malfoy had taken pity on him. It was so out of character for the blonde to care about anyone but himself, yet he had been extremely decent to Harry since the school year began. Strange. Harry thought decisively, and pushed the blonde from his mind.

Harry was really tired from his little 'training session' last night. It turns out that being a dragon was extremely draining, but Harry would happily live as a dragon all the time. It was the most liberating experience he'd ever felt before.

Harry threw on his green and silver tie, and his matching Slytherin robes, before heading up to the Great Hall for breakfast. He sat alone at the end of the table and quickly demolished two bowls of cereal, and was then on his way to Herbology. Slytherin and Gryffindor had Herbology together this year, so Harry was excited to see Ron and Hermione again after a long night of very Slytherin activity.

Harry didn't necessarily enjoy keeping his inheritance a secret from his friends; he didn't like to lie to them, not really. But he knew that if he wanted to keep his secret, his pretence of lies was essential. And with each passing day, the lies brought him less guilt. Harry found that the lies came so naturally, that they felt more like the truth than a fabricated web of words to hide behind. This probably should have scared him, but really, it excited him.

Harry shook the thoughts away again when the greenhouses came into view. A few metres ahead of him, Ron and Hermione were walking to class as well. Harry moved to catch up to his friends, and they soon acknowledged his arrival by making space for him on the path.

"Hi, Harry!" Hermione greeted cheerfully.

"Hey, Hermione, Ron." He greeted in turn.

"Hey mate. So, anything new with the snakes?" Ron asked bitterly.

"Not really, no. I should really invest in an alarm clock, though. It's a little weird to have Malfoy wake me up every morning." Harry replied, chewing his lip.

"Malfoy's been getting you up?" Hermione asked, incredulous.

"Yeah, I guess I forgot to mention that last night..." Ron mumbled, his ears turning red.

Harry glanced at him curiously, but let it go. If Ron wanted him to know about something, Ron would tell him when he was ready. But Harry was still curious. What would Ron be doing that could be so distracting?

"So, wait. What else has Malfoy been doing? Have they done anything suspicious?" Hermione's voice took Harry from his thoughts and back to reality.

"Nothing too interesting, and nothing really... Suspicious... Just odd, like out of character, you know? He's actually been helpful, and tolerable, and yesterday he said 'thank you' to me. It's just... Weird." Harry stopped talking as they reached the greenhouse, and they waited for the last few people to arrive.