21 | Way Up High

Chapter 21: Way Up High

Harry was trying to chart the stars making up Cassiopeia when he noticed Draco bouncing his leg anxiously beside him. He finished drawing the IC-1805 nebula inside the constellation before pressing their hands together gently.

You alright, Draco? You seem anxious.

I am anxious. The blonde paused, contemplating whether or not to tell the former Gryffindor what had happened. The worry that swam in those green eyes and the reassuring squeeze the shorter boy gave his hand were enough to sway him. Granger saw me grab your hand before class.

Shit. Are you positive she saw?

Yes. And she had that look she gets when she's trying to put the puzzle together in her head.

Fucking shit. Fuck, Draco. Of all the people to see something she is probably the absolute worst person, maybe except for Dumbledore... Harry ran his free hand through his hair, tugging at it while he chewed on his lip. My eyes shifted for a second before I could control it, if she saw that then I'm completely fucked; she'll figure it out somehow and she'll realize I've been lying to everybody for months. She'll force me to tell Dumbledore and the Ministry and—

Harry, stop. You're catastrophizing. We can figure this out after class and you'll be okay. We will be okay. Draco tried his best to sound reassuring despite the rising fear he was also starting to feel. Harry nodded his head sharply and took a deep breath. With another squeeze, the blonde retracted his hand, picking up his quill and measuring instruments to finish charting.

///

Once the rest of the boys in the dormitory had fallen asleep, Harry excavated his Invisibility Cloak from the bottom of his trunk. He padded quietly over to Draco's bed, gently pulling back the green curtain hangings to find the blonde in just a pair of black silk pyjama pants. He was reading through their Charms textbook while laying on his stomach, propped up on his elbows with his chin resting in his palms. He was facing the foot of his bed and hadn't noticed Harry yet, so he took a moment to appreciate the scene before him.

Nothing about what the blonde was doing was particularly provocative, yet Harry felt a fluttering in the pit of his stomach at the sight of the pale skin stretched over Malfoy's lean back muscles. His eyes danced over Draco's prominent biceps, traced the curve of his spine, noting the little dimples on either side of its base. He felt his heart stutter as he took in the fullness of the blonde's arse, the silk clinging to it in the most flattering of ways. He wanted to explore every inch of that incredibly soft skin, almost iridescent in the wash of light produced by the Lumos the blonde had cast while he read. That wasn't a very straight thought at all, was it Harry? He shook his head to clear it, not wanting to get too carried away.

"Draco," the shorter boy whispered quietly. The blonde's body tensed slightly, although he calmly turned his head to face the sound. Years of Malfoy family training schooled him not to show his fear, but Harry could tell he had startled the boy.

"Merlin, Potter. You move quieter than anybody I've ever known," Draco whispered back. He pushed himself up on the bed, closing the Charms textbook and casting a quick Nox. Tossing on a jumper and some shoes, the blonde gave Harry a slight nod to indicate he was ready. The shorter boy braced himself for Draco to climb onto his back before draping the Invisibility Cloak over top of them.

Sorry for startling you, I had to learn to be quiet as a kid. My aunt and uncle were... strict, let's say. Harry explained as they made the journey to the Room of Requirement.

I mean I nearly went into heart failure, but I suppose I can forgive you. The blonde responded playfully. They moved in comfortable silence for a few minutes before Draco decided to mention what he had been ruminating on. You never talk about your family.