Chapter 2

---

(M/N) stared at the man in front of him. What is he doing here? His mind rushed back to the opening days of other Victory Tours. He remembered seeing the winning tributes with their mentors and stylists. Even some high government officials had made appearances occasionally. But (M/N) had never seen President Nezu. He attended celebrations in the Capitol. Full stop.

For the President to make his way all the way from the city, it could only mean one thing. (M/N) was in serious trouble. And if he was, so was his family. A shiver went down his spine when he thought of the proximity of his mother and Eri to the man who despised him. Would always despise him. Because (M/N) outsmarted his sadistic Hunger Games, made the Capitol look foolish, and consequently undermined his control.

All (M/N) was trying to do was keep himself and Katsuki alive. Any act of rebellion was purely coincidental. But when the Capitol decrees that only one tribute can live and one has the audacity to challenge it, that in itself was an act of rebellion. (M/N)'s only defence was pretending that he was driven insane by a passionate love for Katsuki. So they were both allowed to live. To go home and celebrate and wave goodbye to the cameras and be left alone. Until now.

Perhaps it was the newness of the house or the shock of seeing the President or the mutual understanding that he could have killed (M/N) in a second that made (M/N) feel like an intruder. As if this was the President's home and he was an uninvited guest. So (M/N) didn't welcome him or offer him a chair. He didn't say anything. In fact, he treated the man in front of him like a real snake, the venomous kind. (M/N) stood motionless, eyes locked onto him, considering plans of retreat.

"I think we'll make this whole situation a lot easier by agreeing not to lie to each other," President Nezu said. "What do you think?"

The words came from (M/N)'s mouth before he could even register them, as if he was on autopilot. "Yes, I think that would save time."

President Nezu smiled. "My advisors were concerned you would be difficult, but you're not planning on being difficult, are you?"

"No," (M/N) answered.

"That's what I told them. I said any boy who goes to such lengths to preserve his life isn't going to be interested in throwing it away with both hands. And then there's his family to think of. His mother, his sister, and all those... cousins."

By the way he lingered on the word 'cousins', (M/N) could tell the President knew that he and Shoto didn't share a family tree.

"Let's sit." President Nezu took a seat at the large desk of polished wood where Eri would do her homework and his mother her budgets. Like their home, this was a place where the President had no right, but ultimately every right, to occupy. (M/N) sat in front of the desk on one of the carved, straight-backed chairs.

"I have a problem, Mr (L/N)," President Nezu said. "A problem that began the moment you pulled out those poisonous berries in the arena."

That was the moment (M/N) guessed that if the Gamemakers had to choose between watching him and Katsuki commit suicide or letting them both live, they would choose the latter.

"If the Head Gamemaker had any brains at all, he would have blown you to bits then and there. But here you are, and I assume you can guess where he is," the President said.

(M/N) merely nodded, since by the way he said it, it was clear that the Head Gamemaker had been executed. The smell of roses and blood had grown a lot stronger now that only a desk separated the two. There was a rose in President Nezu's lapel, which at least suggested a source for the flower perfume, but it had to be genetically enhanced, because no real rose reeked like that. As for the blood, (M/N) didn't know.