Chapter 10

---

It made no sense. (M/N)'s bird baked into bread. Unlike the stylish renderings he saw in the Capitol, this was definitely not a fashion statement. "What is it? What does that mean?" (M/N) asked harshly, still prepared to kill.

"It means we're on your side," said a female voice behind (M/N).

(M/N) didn't see her when he came up. She must have been in the house. He didn't take his eyes off his current target. The newcomer was probably armed, but (M/N) was betting she wouldn't risk letting him hear the click that would mean his death was imminent, knowing he would instantly kill her companion. "Come around where I can see you," (M/N) ordered.

"She can't, she's-" began the woman with the cracker.

"Come around!" (M/N) shouted. There was a step and a dragging sound. (M/N) could hear the effort the movement required. Another woman, or maybe a girl since she looked the same age as (M/N), limped into view. She was dressed in an ill-fitting Peacekeeper's uniform complete with the white fur cloak, but it was several sizes too large for her slight frame. She carried no visible weapon. Her hands were occupied with steadying a rough crutch made from a broken branch. The toe of her right boot couldn't clear the snow, hence the dragging.

(M/N) examined the girl's face, which was bright red from the cold. Her teeth were crooked and there was a birthmark above one of her brown eyes. She was no Peacekeeper. No citizen of the Capitol either.

"Who are you?" (M/N) asked wearily but with less hostility.

"My name's Itsuka," said the woman. She was older. Maybe thirty-five or so. "And this is Toru. We've run away from District Eight."

(M/N) perked up at that. If they came from District 8 then they had to know about the uprising.

"Where'd you get your uniform?" (M/N) asked.

"I stole them from the factory," Toru said. "We make them from there. Only I thought this one would be for... for someone else. That's why it fits so poorly."

"The gun came from a dead Peacekeeper," Itsuka said, following (M/N)'s eyes.

"That cracker in your hand. With the bird. What's that about?" (M/N) asked.

"Don't you know, (M/N)?" Toru appeared genuinely surprised.

They recognised him. Of course they recognised him. His face was uncovered and he was standing there outside of District 12 pointing an arrow at them. Who else would he be? "I know it matches the pin I wore in the arena."

"He doesn't know," Toru said softly. "Maybe about any of it."

(M/N) suddenly felt the need to appear on top of things. "I know you had an uprising in Eight."

"Yes, that's why we had to get out," Itsuka said.

"Well, you're good and out now. What are you going to do?" (M/N) asked

"We're headed for District Thirteen," Itsuka replied.

(M/N) scrunched his nose in confusion. "Thirteen? There's no Thirteen. It got blown off the map."

"Seventy-five years ago," Itsuka said.

Toru shifted on her crutch and winced.

"What's wrong with your leg?" (M/N) asked.

"I twisted my ankle. My boots are too big," Toru replied.

(M/N) bit his lip. His instincts were telling him they were telling the truth. And behind that truth is a whole lot of information he wanted to get. He stepped forward and retrieved Itsuka's gun before lowering his bow, though. Then he hesitated for a moment, thinking of another day in these woods, when he and Shoto watched a hovercraft appear out of thin air and capture two escapees from the Capitol. "Anyone after you?"