Chapter 18

Yall already know whats coming 👁👁

---

(M/N) was still smouldering a little, so it was with a tentative hand that Toshinori reached out to touch (M/N)'s crown. The white had burned away, leaving a smooth, black texture with feathers ingrained into it. "Feathers," Toshinori said. "You're like a bird."

"A mockingjay," (M/N) said, giving his wings a small flap. "It's the bird on the pin I wear as a token."

A shadow of recognition flickered across Toshinori's face, and (M/N) could tell he knew that the mockingjay wasn't just his token. That it had come to symbolise so much more. What would be seen as a flashy costume change in the Capitol would be resonating in an entirely different way throughout the districts. But he made the best of it.

"Well, hats off to your stylist. I don't think anyone can argue that that's not the most spectacular thing we've ever seen in an interview. Keigo, I think you better take a bow!" Toshinori gestured for Keigo to rise. He did, and made a small, gracious bow. And suddenly (M/N) was afraid for him. What had he done? Something terribly dangerous. An act of rebellion in itself. And he'd done it for (M/N). (M/N) remembered his words...

"Don't worry. I always channel my emotions into my work. That way I don't hurt anyone but myself."

...and he was afraid that Keigo had hurt himself beyond repair. The significance of (M/N)'s fiery transformation would not be lost on President Nezu.

The audience, who had been stunned into silence, broke into a wild applause. (M/N) could barely hear the buzzer that indicated that his three minutes were up. Toshinori thanked him and he went back to his seat, his outfit now feeling lighter than air.

As he passed Katsuki, who was headed for his interview, the blonde didn't meet his eyes. (M/N) took his seat carefully, but aside from the puffs of smoke here and there, he seemed unharmed, so he turned his attention to Katsuki.

Toshinori and Katsuki had been a natural team since they first appeared together a year ago. Katsuki's ability to completely lie through his teeth and do a full 180 on his personality segued into heart-wrenching moments, like his confession of love for (M/N), which made them a huge success with the audience. They effortlessly opened with a few jokes about fires and feathers and overcooking poultry. But anyone could see that Katsuki was preoccupied, so Toshinori directed the conversation right into the subject that was on everyone's minds.

"So, Katsuki, what was it like when, after all you've been through, you found out about the Quell?" Toshinori asked.

"I was in shock. I mean, one minute I'm seeing (M/N) looking so amazing in all these wedding outfits, and the next..." Katsuki trailed off.

"You realised there was never going to be a wedding?" Toshinori asked gently.

Katsuki paused for a long moment, as if deciding something. He looked out at the spellbound audience, then at the floor, then finally up at Toshinori. "Do you think all our friends here can keep a secret?"

An uncomfortable laugh emanated from the audience. What could he mean? Keep a secret from who? Their whole world was watching.

"I feel quite certain of it," Toshinori said.

"We're already married," Katsuki said. The crowd reacted in astonishment, and (M/N) had to focus on keeping a straight face even though he was beyond confused. Where was Katsuki going with this?

"But... How can that be?" Toshinori said.

"Oh, it's not an official marriage. We didn't go to the Justice Building or anything. But we have this marriage ritual in District Twelve. I don't know what it's like in the other districts. But there's this thing we do," Katsuki said, and then he described the toasting.